Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Wondering if any U.S. developers have received a code for purchase of an N800 as part of the developer device program . . .

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Wondering if any U.S. developers have received a code for purchase of an N800 as part of the developer device program . . .
Not me. They're supposed to have been sent out by now. So I guess I'm not on the list!

(Just kidding - they're probably just delayed. Or maybe my spam filter ate them up!)

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Not me. They're supposed to have been sent out by now. So I guess I'm not on the list!
Why would you, it's not like you've developed any applications that are useful to people !

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I haven't either, but I'm not really holding my breath for one. I sure wouldn't mind getting my hands on one for that price though. Personaly, I'd think Nokia could have handled it a bit more professionally by reviewing developers on a more personal level, have more thorough reviews, and extend the program indefinitely.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post

(Just kidding - they're probably just delayed. Or maybe my spam filter ate them up!)
Maybe you are on their blacklist because you are creating the COMPETING navigation application... MaemoMapper. Just think how much $$$ they could have earned more if no MaemoMapper existed?

Originally Posted by =DC= View Post
I haven't either, but I'm not really holding my breath for one.
Fortunately (for me), I'm not holding my breath either. I don't have any special plans for Maemo Mapper on the n800. Even at the developer price, I don't really want one. I'll only get it so that I can provide proper support on it for Maemo Mapper.

Don't get me wrong, the extra CPU and memory will be great, I'm sure... But no cover? How the hell am I supposed to carry that thing in my pocket? I can't be the only person that wears slacks or jeans with pockets big enough to hold a 770.

No thanks... My fiancee can have my n800. I already told her that she can have it on the stipulation that she allow me to use it whenever I need to test Maemo Mapper.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by =DC= View Post
I'd think Nokia could have handled it a bit more professionally by reviewing developers on a more personal level, have more thorough reviews, and extend the program indefinitely.
I guess time is of the element, and Nokia don't seem to have sufficient resources to develop and maintain the ITT/Maemo projects (well, that's always the excuse when Bugzilla doesn't recieve any Nokia love for a month or more). To vet all the worthy developers would probably take months and resources Nokia don't have available.

My guess is Nokia chose high profile developers then opted for mostly systematic selection after that (chat users, active in bugzilla). I guess it shows that it actually pays to report bugs - you'd now have a cheap N800! It's also possible to email a certain Nokian with a plea - check the posts in gmane.comp.handhelds.maemo.devel. If anyone doesn't know how to check that, they shouldn't be on the list!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
A good tip has been posted in gmane.comp.handhelds.maemo.devel - check your spam folders. I know for a fact that Thunderbird has the potential to mark the Nokia email as spam and move it to your junk folder.

The subject will be

"This Nokia N800 discount code is for you"

and it should originate from

team at maemo dot org

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Warsaw, Poland
Funny, my discount code was marked as spam, too.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Hm-m. No U.S. developers with codes yet? Nearly midnight in Helsinki.

QuimGil writes:

"The maemo team wants to close the program asap - hopefully the last codes will be sent on Friday 26th January."

Sounds like they won't have too many decisions to make in the "second and final round."