The QStarDict is a very nice dictionary available in the extras-devel repository it is based on StarDict and can use almost any dictionary library available after it has been converted.

The dictionary libraries are to be put in:
/usr/share/stardict/dic or /home/user/.stardict/dic

As it is not possible for one to find all the libraries, regarding a domain (such as a speciffic language, law or medicine), in one place, I decided to look for medical dictionaries and convert them if necessary for stardict.

A dictionary library consists of:

*.dict.dz
or .dict
*.ifo
*.idx
*.syn
(most dictionaries)

I am using Linux Mint "Helena" and stardict-tools for conversion when it is needed.
My goal is to create a comprehensive medical database for Qstardict that can easily be accessed from the repositories.

As I am quite new to linux I'd appreciate a step by step explanation of how to create the .deb package and which of the available folders you recommend for installing and why.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-02 at 14:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I'd go with the folder under /home/user, because it's already on the big vfat partition, so there's no need to optify the deb package. I have my stardict dictionaries there.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
You will need SKD for building .deb packages. You can read an instruction on building package at: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...eveloper_Guide
You can also refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete there is a lot of useful information on building .deb packages.
After that see http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras-devel for instructions on how to upload your package to repository.
I recommend using /home/user/.stardict/dic as it is on 32Gb card. /usr/share/stardict/dic is in internal 256Mb memory.
You can also add your own path to dictionaries at stardict plugin configuration.

The Following User Says Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
.debs should not install to the user's home dir.

It should install to qstardict's default dict directory in /opt

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
There is no restriction for using /home/user for programs. I agree that it would be wrong for desktop as there may be a lot of users. But I think it's ok for mobile phone. /opt is in /home/opt anyway.
I will add a path pointing to dic folder by default in /opt's qstardict folder in next version.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by @SR View Post
I recommend using /home/user/.stardict/dic as it is on 32Gb card.
Note, this is the 2G partition, not the 32G partition. The 32G partition is /home/user/MyDocs. The /home/user/MyDocs partition is VFAT as well, so symlinks are not possible there (well you can point to it, but it can't contain symlinks).

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
I have 3 dictionary files (.dz , .dict, .ifo) Where exactly do I put them? I cannot find these folders using native file manager): /usr/share/stardict/dic or /home/user/.stardict/dic. TIA.

Openssh on the phone and winscp on the pc via a router or try using pidgin or mytube.