Is there any good way of encrypting file on the n800? like encfs, truecrypt or anything like that?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by miind View Post
Is there any good way of encrypting file on the n800? like encfs, truecrypt or anything like that?
gpg is there, from the command line. NoteCase (http://notecase.sourceforge.net/) has built-in encryption for the notes.

Last edited by gammer; 2007-12-17 at 12:54.

Any idea if the gpgnu implementation is fully functional? I have been trying to generate a key and seem to be having problems at the end when I enter the passphrase. Granted it could be my keyboard spitting out duplicate chars but not sure.

Has anyone used it successfully with DSA/Elgamal/1024bits?
After the passphrase input I get the error message:

"gpg: [Internal]:0: invalid algorithm"

Code:
Nokia-N810-50-2:~# gpg --version
gpg (stripped down GnuPG for OSSO) 1.4.2
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: DSA
Cipher: 3DES
Hash: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

Yes but have you been able to encrypt and sign a file with it (and with confidence)?

Originally Posted by pdonner View Post
Yes but have you been able to encrypt and sign a file with it (and with confidence)?
take a look at this thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=3776&page=2

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Vancouver, BC
Gpg works but I believe that works with single files. I'm also looking for encfs or truecrypt since it transparently encrypts entire filesystems... (usually as a file that's mounted as a loopback device)

I've tried compiling my own copy of truecrypt but keep on encountering issues with the process (esp. dm-crypt). Anyone else have better luck?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I've tried compiling my own copy of truecrypt but keep on encountering issues with the process (esp. dm-crypt). Anyone else have better luck?
Yes, I've recompiled a kernel with dm and encrypt a whole partition.
Works like a charm.

I didn't post because it needs a custom kernel (dm has to be linked to the kernel, module is not possible, afaik) and not sure people will use a new kernel.

So it's kernel-level encryption. No need for any software in theory. In practice I have also ported one tool to ease the mounting. Now I need one command to mount my enc partition.

As for truecrypt, it's another layer. I have no use of this

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by free View Post
I didn't post because it needs a custom kernel (dm has to be linked to the kernel, module is not possible, afaik) and not sure people will use a new kernel.
I'd love to grab a copy or if you link me the resources that you used to compile that kernel. I found an old doc about compiling the kernel for, I think OS2007, but my scratchbox install was different enough to cause me major problems during the cross compile. Tried compiling the kernel with dm-crypt on the unit itself but that didn't go well either.

I don't need truecrypt either, I can't seem to keep track of how fast the tech changes (Started using cryptoloop, which was overtaken by encfs, but then now...?)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by aki
I'd love to grab a copy or if you link me the resources that you used to compile that kernel.
I've moved it here

Last edited by free; 2008-01-27 at 00:36.