Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
There are some threads where there are literally 2,000 posts. Who the hell is going to rummage through all that to find the answers they need when they're most likely going to make a new thread?

I say there should be thread limits. 500 posts per threads. That's either 10 pages of 50 posts or 10 posts with 50 pages whatever it is you like. I think that would be better than the current system we have now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bondage Monkey For This Useful Post:
I actually agree, for instance the its terrible when you need some info and there is a thread that has 600 posts. so you ask for something specific and people jump on you saying "didn't you read the xyz thread?".

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
I agree absolutely. Even a thread of 500 posts would be too much.

Actually I am curious why this forum does not work. Generally I don't have problems when searching for information on other forums, notably Linux-oriented forums. Perhaps because they generally are sub-threaded? All I know that on *this* forum finding relevant information is impossible.

Paai

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
to search you really need to use power search not regular vbulletin search, I always find what I'm looking for with that. 2nd if you think it is hard finding information in 1 2000 post thread how do you think it will be to find information one 1 topic in 4 500 post threads. We used to have to split threads here when they got so big and you end up losing alot of informaiton because you have things like Show off your screens shots 1,Show off your screens shots 2,Show off your screens shots 3,Show off your screens shots 4. Then you go to look for a screenshot and your like which thread was it in agian?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
andrew, don't even get me started on the search. It's HORRIBLE. I would search for "knots 2" by thread and what does it give me? A lot of filler crap that has nothing with knots 2. Where can we go to petition this sort of thing? It needs to be implemented. A better search system and limited posts in threads.

Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
andrew, don't even get me started on the search. It's HORRIBLE. I would search for "knots 2" by thread and what does it give me? A lot of filler crap that has nothing with knots 2. Where can we go to petition this sort of thing? It needs to be implemented. A better search system and limited posts in threads.
Erm...
I just tried it with -both- advanced and regular. Advanced search returned an entire page with results for "knots 2"(i included the quotes in the search box).
Regular search gave me the first three results being relevant - and that search even dropped the 2!

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Here are the first four results from a Power Search for Knots 2 The rest of the results were similar.:

Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems - Page ...
Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems Multimedia. ... I made a quick port of the Knots 2 diablo client for Joggler ...
talk.maemo.org
Knots2 - maemo.org wiki
You should not enable extras-devel if you don't know what you are doing. Please read the extras-devel article before installing Knots 2 for the N900 ...
wiki.maemo.org
Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems - Page ...
I made a quick port of the Knots 2 diablo client for Joggler Ubuntu Netbook Remix Edition. It should work on any desktop Ubuntu too. ...
talk.maemo.org

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
If you search knots 2 here are the results using power search. Built in vbulletin search sucks that is why we offer Google Search of the entire maemo.org domain. Reggie is the Admin of t.m.o but a better search system is already there and as I said a limit on posts in a thread will not stop people from making more threads. People really need to learn to stay on topic and the threads will be easier to read. Also if there is data that will need to be refered back to at a later date then it should go into the wiki if its not already there.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
A limit on posts as things stand would be unfair, as the situation with regard to fixes changes. For example, the usb breaking problem -- it's important to find out the status of new people trying to get it fixed is. If there was a limit, there would be no way of knowing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I think a better system would be to implement a 'thread search', using the google power search, but on a single thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: