hi there,

I just flash my n900 from this tutorial http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/11/ho...900s-firmware/ from ubuntu 9.10.

I follow that paragraph:
Linux: Linux users can use the Flasher to update their firmware. Download the flasher here, and the N900 firmware image here. To start flashing, turn the N900 off, then connect the USB cable (with the device still powered off). Open a terminal and run ‘sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F <firmware image filename> -f -R‘ and enter your administrator password. You’ll get a message that a suitable USB device isn’t found, so you’ll now need to press the power button to turn your N900 on. Once it’s on, it will start flashing, and then it will reboot. When you see the normal desktop, you can disconnect your N900.
after that with sim inside the phone it doesn't connect to my provider (cosmote - greece) any ideas???

Have you tried flashing with the SIM in the phone and without the SIM in the phone?

i flash it with sim, give me some tiime to do it again without sim.
thanks for your reply

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jambel View Post
hi there,

I just flash my n900 from this tutorial http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/11/ho...900s-firmware/ from ubuntu 9.10.

I follow that paragraph:

after that with sim inside the phone it doesn't connect to my provider (cosmote - greece) any ideas???
Which version did you flash with? If you've had 51-1 installed at all, and have now flashed with an older version, then the GSM module won't work, and the SIM will not be recognised.

ok working with 51-1, BUT.. when I go to media player or image viewer in the left upper corner the graphics are disturbed and not shown correctly

UPDATE: I reboot and now the problem is is the main menu/photos icon

UPDATE 2: I reboot again and no problem (so far)

Another question is how can I remove files from previous software installations that stuck after flashing? I suspect that it still holds some files and the phone isn't "clean"

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
ok working with 51-1, BUT.. when I go to media player or image viewer in the left upper corner the graphics are disturbed and not shown correctly

UPDATE: I reboot and now the problem is is the main menu/photos icon

UPDATE 2: I reboot again and no problem (so far)

Another question is how can I remove files from previous software installations that stuck after flashing? I suspect that it still holds some files and the phone isn't "clean"

You allso need to flash with the eMMC image

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

I did it with that file RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin the only eMMC I've see is the 41-1 RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.41-1.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin are you sure it will run it when I currently have 51-1 installed?

thanks

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I did it with that file RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin the only eMMC I've see is the 41-1 RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.41-1.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin are you sure it will run it when I currently have 51-1 installed?

thanks
Yes - there's only been one release of the eMMC firmware (as nothing changes on there). Before you flash it, make sure you copy anything off the eMMC you want to keep (ringtones, images, videos, map data, etc) as this will all be wiped, and the eMMC firmware image doesn't contain any of the default ringtones, images, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
ok thanks, I want to wipe it all because I'm gonna sell it. It also have one stuck pixel and that's a common problem as I read in some other thread. Too bad, I'm a huge fun of nokia and linux but I was happier with my previous N95 8gb.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Yes - there's only been one release of the eMMC firmware (as nothing changes on there). Before you flash it, make sure you copy anything off the eMMC you want to keep (ringtones, images, videos, map data, etc) as this will all be wiped, and the eMMC firmware image doesn't contain any of the default ringtones, images, etc.
Many thanks Rob1n.

I am asking: Just to clarify things - To clean the N900 back to as new from Nokia:
1. Is the what you call 'eMMC' - '/home/user/MyDocs'? if so save a copy.
2. Flash with the 41-1 eMMC firmware image.
3. Re-flash with the 51-1 firmware image (to bring firmware up to date).
4. Copy /home/user/MyDocs back, to get all you data back.

I don't completely understand what the eMMC is,
Many thanks