Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
I just wanted to clarify what you lose/need to backup when flashing Maemo 5 onto your N900.

So here is what I know.

If you just flash the rootfs, then, as all configs are kept in /home/user/, all of your settings will be as they were, you just need to install the apps you had which can be done by running the Backup app before flashing and then restoring from it after.

So after that you should be in an identical position you were before but with a new image save for any custom scripts you put onto the rootfs yourself. Correct?

If you flash the eMMC, you need run the Backup app AND copy everything off your /home/user and /home/user/MyDocs partitions?

My logic would say that then restoring from the backup would not get you totally back to where you were. Perhaps putting back all /home/user/.* files and folders would though??

Any input here more than welcome.
Thanks

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
I just wanted to clarify what you lose/need to backup when flashing Maemo 5 onto your N900.

So here is what I know.

If you just flash the rootfs, then, as all configs are kept in /home/user/, all of your settings will be as they were, you just need to install the apps you had which can be done by running the Backup app before flashing and then restoring from it after.

So after that you should be in an identical position you were before but with a new image save for any custom scripts you put onto the rootfs yourself. Correct?
That's correct, yes.

Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
If you flash the eMMC, you need run the Backup app AND copy everything off your /home/user and /home/user/MyDocs partitions?

My logic would say that then restoring from the backup would not get you totally back to where you were. Perhaps putting back all /home/user/.* files and folders would though??
From my experience, the /home/user/.* files & folders are backed up and restored by the Backup app, so it's just the /home/user/MyDocs you need to worry about.

After doing the full eMMC & firmware flash and restoring from backup, the only things I needed to redo were configuring the IM/sharing connections & re-merging my IM contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post

From my experience, the /home/user/.* files & folders are backed up and restored by the Backup app, so it's just the /home/user/MyDocs you need to worry about.

After doing the full eMMC & firmware flash and restoring from backup, the only things I needed to redo were configuring the IM/sharing connections & re-merging my IM contacts.
Hmmmm so additional fields are not saved in the /home/user/.osso-abook/db folder?