Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Before you start telling me that there are existing topics, let me tell you this:
I've tried. I tried reinstalling Fcam, I've tried rebuilding the database, I've uninstalled Fcam and some more. I have the power kernel, and i've tried switching to the stock one.
Nothing worked.
So this is my problem. The browserd process is eating my battery, and making my N900 hot. (It runs at 80-90% constantly.)
The specific name of the process includes RTComMessagingServer. So I assume it runs the Conversations app. That's my second issue. The Conversations app doesn't work. I do get the list of conversations and the small snippets from the last message. But when I try to open a conversation, it doesn't show messages, but flashes in black from time to time.
Please help. I can't use my N900 away from a charger because of this.

Some details:
-I updated Pecan lately, but i dont know if it occured at the same time.
-The process doesn't consume CPU right after boot, but after some time.

I can give you more details on request.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-05-03 at 21:04.

remove pecan? try that and see what happens. and try killing the browserd process

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Didnt know you could remove a process in Maemo, whats the command to stop things running?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Didnt know you could remove a process in Maemo, whats the command to stop things running?
You're probably talking about killall (ex: killall pidgin)

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Doesn't browserd start again at boot and if he start MicroB? Maybe not the greatest fix.

Well... If I kill the crazy process, the phone crashes. It's obviously blessed by the watchdog...
I also removed Pecan, without any improvement.
Btw I forgot to mention that MicroB doesn't load pages, it just tries to load for a long time, and then just stops with a blank screen. I'm using Opera atm, which is fine.
But the process is really annoying. I feel that I can't do anything while it's running like that, even though it probably has a very low priority. (It lowers when other processes are dominating.)

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do except for a reflash? Last time I reflashed was when PR1.3 came, but it wasn't a full one. (Only rootfs, not EMMC.)
I might even consider a full reflash. It would be awfully hard, but if it would cure my N900, I would do it.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-05-03 at 15:55.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Backup what you need, and then make a complete reflash. That would for sure get rid of your problems

I'll see that as a final solution. But so far, I'll see if anyone have ideas on this. I have lots of mods, you see... :P (I've added menu entries, icons, scripts, and more.)

HOLY CR*P HOLY CR*P HOLY CR*P!
I found out how to fix it!
It is a random yet resilient way:
I ran this script (I was just browsing the Ovi apps and found an interesting one, ok? This is a bit like that guy who ran naked out on the streets...)
Code:
#! /bin/sh

INSTALL_FILE=/tmp/application.install
PACKAGE_LIST=/var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.maemo.nokia.com_fremantle1.2_ovi_._Packages
PACKAGE=$1

echo "[install]"                         >${INSTALL_FILE}
echo "catalogues = nokia-ovi-store"     >>${INSTALL_FILE}
echo "package = ${PACKAGE}"             >>${INSTALL_FILE}
echo ""                                      >>${INSTALL_FILE}

echo "[nokia-ovi-store]"                >>${INSTALL_FILE}
echo "id = ovi"                         >>${INSTALL_FILE}
echo "file = variant-catalogues"        >>${INSTALL_FILE}

dbus-send --type=method_call --print-reply --dest='com.nokia.hildon_application_manager' /com/nokia/hildon_application_manager  com.nokia.hildon_application_manager.mime_open string:"${INSTALL_FILE}"
It's the script that lets you install Ovi apps. I have it saved as a file, and I tried installing an app. It didn't work, but the side-effect was that browserd stopped going crazy.
Now it's back down at 2% processor usage.
It only affects the browserd process running RTComMessagingServer AFAIK.

Ok... I was wrong... It resumed back up at 100% after some time... -.-'
But at least I know that it has something to do with DBus.

I got the trace of something... Will see if I can fetch it. It's definitively something to do with DBus here.
It seems like a looping task. It's about protocols and namechanges.
Will try to see what I can do about that... I optified microb-engine some time ago. It could have caused this.
Now I see my problem... microb-engine doesn't even exist on my phone... -.-'
No worries, though. I have a clean rootfs on my computer.
Yes, I believe this was the issue. I don't know how it happened, but it will probably be gone after a reboot. And basically... That script was helping me. It indicated that DBus was involved in the problem.

Effect was immediate! It's back to normal, and I can happily use it without turning it off tomorrow.
Thanks for all the "positive" advice.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-05-03 at 21:04.