Active Topics

Ok so i broke my backstand couple of weeks ago and i had to buy a back cover replacement, found this backcover on ebay and i bought it..but there's a problem with the new backcover

The slide sensor for the camera is not working, and it cannot detect my mmc

As you can see on the pic below,

A = my original backcover
B= the new backcover
C= Mugen Backcover

Trying to figure out the difference, so I've marked the differences in circles,
i have a question, is the one circled in red a magnet or just a paper? Because that's the only difference with the original cover..

Also the one marked in blue circle seems to be a magnet no?
Mugen does a good job in making backcover, all functions are working properly, so that little piece of metal must have some kind of function..

thanks before

The new one is missing the magnet that the phone uses to detect if the cover is on or not.

The mmc is forcibly unmounted whent he cover is removed.

Your new el cheapo cover has no magnet, therefore the phone believes the cover is missing ergo the mmc is never mounted.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I really thought after all this time the device has been out that everyone knew about the magnet attatched to the rear stand and what happens if it is not there.

The mind boggles lol

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
The new one is missing the magnet that the phone uses to detect if the cover is on or not.

The mmc is forcibly unmounted whent he cover is removed.

Your new el cheapo cover has no magnet, therefore the phone believes the cover is missing ergo the mmc is never mounted.
I knew it
thanks for the explanation..
So i guess i;ll have to look for magnetic tape huh?
and does the color matter?
Does it have to be black and white like the original one?

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I really thought after all this time the device has been out that everyone knew about the magnet attatched to the rear stand and what happens if it is not there.

The mind boggles lol
I thought it's just a piece of paper since it's very thin..

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
This is why i again must ask if we should make a buyers guide for parts/accessories, i will still handle the battery's

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
The magnet is not a moving part, it just sits there so N900 can detect if cover is present or not.

If cover is present, an IR reflectivity sensor is activated, which sees if the white or black part of the lens cover is infront of it.

Your second cover doesn't seem to have any white/black marking on the lens cover?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I could not really see the pictures you posted, but here's my sharing on my back cover experience.

1) Spring loosen. This happend while I was cleaning the back cover and somehow the spring got detached. This cause the cover to slide on it's own. Fixing this was rather simple and need to be delicate in getting the spring in place.

2) Broken "L" clip (in your second pic was the silver piece). That piece broken off and I had problem to detect the MMC. UHU-glued it and now working well again. Note: UHU is not as strong as some super-glue, but I didn't want to risk the stronger stuffs eating away the plastic. Keep the UHU glue around in case it comes off again.

Hope the above helps!

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
The magnet is not a moving part, it just sits there so N900 can detect if cover is present or not.

If cover is present, an IR reflectivity sensor is activated, which sees if the white or black part of the lens cover is infront of it.

Your second cover doesn't seem to have any white/black marking on the lens cover?
I tried putting a black white paper which is exactly the SAME with the original one but it still doesn't work...
Is it made of certain material?
Is it magnet?

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I could not really see the pictures you posted, but here's my sharing on my back cover experience.

1) Spring loosen. This happend while I was cleaning the back cover and somehow the spring got detached. This cause the cover to slide on it's own. Fixing this was rather simple and need to be delicate in getting the spring in place.

2) Broken "L" clip (in your second pic was the silver piece). That piece broken off and I had problem to detect the MMC. UHU-glued it and now working well again. Note: UHU is not as strong as some super-glue, but I didn't want to risk the stronger stuffs eating away the plastic. Keep the UHU glue around in case it comes off again.

Hope the above helps!
I don't think i have both problems, but thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post

The mind boggles lol
Is it really the magnet attached to the rear stand?

My N900 has one magnet "within" the rear stand and one
in the opposite position as part of the back cover.
Makes a snappy noise when the rear stand is put back to
the rear cover as the two magnets hold each other of course.
Quite a filigree issue.

I guess the magnet that is part of the back cover is the important one and not the one within the rear stand?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
By the way, what's the advantage of having the cover activating the MMC? Some poka yoke concept to ensure back cover is on before using the phone? I think the back cover is pretty obvious enough not to miss intentionally?