Notices

I am strongly considering buying an N810, but there is just one question I need answered first: ever since Google implemented Google talk with video inside of Gmail, has anybody gotten it to work (with full video on both ends) with an internet tablet?

Google doesn't give a damn about Linux. Period. They never have and probably never will.

Also Android is not "open" and not Linux. Those are lies. (custom Java env. in a linux scratchbox counts about as much as M$'s linux patches to work better in Window's VM emulator)

Last I checked GTalk's video functionality relies on Adobe Flash. Adobe is another company that hates Linux. That's why we have Flash 9 on the tablets (and LUCKY at that). You don't see flash on any other non-x86 architecture (except for PPC). heh. Anyway webcam => Flash implementations are Windows only. (I think OSX gets shafted as well as Linux/BSD/etc. but not 100% sure).

Bottom-line: http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html
the tablets run Linux, no GTalk webcam support for Linux. and as usual good luck with Linux + ARM.

Sorry.

Your options are....*drum-roll*
Gizmo5 (Windows) <=> N800/N810
N800/N810 <=> N800/N810

and maybe Ekiga if that is ever properly ported.

on the Linux desktop (x86) the choices are pretty slim as well. And the best program with webcam support is Cheese which doesn't have any kind of network support (just takes photos/videos) which is about all the camera on the N800/N810 is good for as well -_-

oh and also be angry at Skype, they promised video support on the tablets and never kept that promise.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
woa, cool down a bit there...

currently the google talk video system relies on a plugin (not flash), only available for windows iirc.

this however can change with the recently announced intention to buy on2, a supplier of video codecs (ogg theora is based of on2's open sourced VP3 codec).

but currently, google talk video will not work on the nokia tablets.

Ah. The last time I tried using it was the built-in "client" in gmail, which opened a flash embed but that certainly may have changed.

There is plenty of other Google software that they felt didn't need to be ported to Linux for whatever reason. And the software they did port was a long time after the Windows releases (Google Earth; Chrome), sloppy (Picaso via WINE) or non-existent.

I'm not saying Google is bad. I love Google Streetview, Google Voice, Google Maps/directions, GMail and of course search.

I'm just pointing out that they live in a bubble (or "cloud" if you follow) and outside of that all they see for their target audience is Windows. Hopefully they will someday be enlightened.

I don't think the problem is solely Google's fault though. Linux's client marketshare is too small and Google tries to build upon existing standards like Flash to minimize their work. Which is why instead of building a seperate Picasa for Linux they choose to build it on Wine and just contribute whatever bugfixes or patches needed to the Wine project. Hopefully advances like HTML5 and other ones leads Google to more openness and away from proprierty systems,

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
There is plenty of other Google software that they felt didn't need to be ported to Linux for whatever reason. And the software they did port was a long time after the Windows releases (Google Earth; Chrome), sloppy (Picaso via WINE) or non-existent.
google earth and picasa was bought along with third party companies, both of whom focused on windows before google got them, iirc...

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Google doesn't give a damn about Linux. Period. They never have and probably never will.
Aww. please, stop that. That is childish nonsense. We need Linus to come out and state that "Google-hatred is a disease" as well, this crap is starting to come up more and more and it makes no sense at all. It makes as much sense as bashing Ubuntu since "they don't contribute to the kernel enough". Amazingly stupid **** bashing companies that are, in fact, using Linux and even doing their bit to offer software/services to Linux users -- even if it is not according to the same schedule as Windows support or not quite the way you'd like it to be done.

Google has plenty of interest in making things work in Linux. They have a big interest in making all their services run on pretty much any platform.Google has contributed to plenty of Linux projects that are of interest to them. Look up their contributions to Wine (please, use Bing or Yahoo for that if google offends you...). Yes, you probably don't like wine since it's "not native Linux", but plenty of us other desktop Linux users are very fond of it. Google contributes to a lot of other Linux projects too through their summer of code, and people who work for Google do, in fact, contribute to kernel work too. I'm sure GoogleTalk video will eventually work on Linux, as well.

And while I'm marveling at your silly post, let me go on a bit: Android-hatred amazes me too. Yes, it's java on top of a Linux kernel or something or other. So what? Where's the crime in that? More importantly, what hell does Gtalk video not running on Nokia tablets have to do with that? These are the forums for a Nokia device...with these oooh-so-marvellous "open source tablets" (yeah right), what do we get as our main software for our "digital lives"? A closed source piece-of-**** email program. Seriously, cut down on the Google-hatred and accept that in the real world, open and closed source DO need to live together to create nice products (not to mention jobs and money for people to pay for that stuff, but I ramble...).

Now, go apologize to Google and tell Mr. Stallman that you can't play with him anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of his git repository this morning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: