So far it's great but not very user friendly and very time consuming in areas where kinetic scrolling is the only option.

I love the kinetic scrolling, but it's a disappointment having that as the only option to scroll through applications that does not implement Arrow key scrolling. For example Photos. Try browsing through the default 92 photos, also in Text Messages

There are no scrolling bar anywhere that I can see.

Should this be compulsary to have scrolling bar and/or use Arrow keys?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Isn't kinetic scrolling the (good) reason why they were able to do away with the (awful) scrolling bar?

IMO, I much prefer it that way

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DannStarr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
Isn't kinetic scrolling the (good) reason why they were able to do away with the (awful) scrolling bar?

IMO, I much prefer it that way
The problem is the scrolling speed is the same no matter how agressive your finger movement is (talking from iPhone experience)

If you upload 500 random photos, start from the top, attempt to pick the one in the middle of the pack to share, you'll see what I mean.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
I agree, the Fremantle scrolling is quite sub-optimal in many cases. Time for a brainstorm?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
That's the problem with kinetic scolling in general. It looks nice on demo videos, but it's a PITA to use in real life.

We'll eventually get over it and have user interfaces again that are made for every day use cases. ATM, I'm afraid, we'll have to cope with designs made for the catwalk, not for a regular business day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I agree with Venomrush completely. There are a load of instances where i've tried to use the arrows to jump through items more quickly, but thats just not an option.

Photos especially are a real pain! And once I put some more music on, i'll no doubt have similar problems.

Feature request perhaps?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I think a large portion of the issue with scrolling on the N900, for me at least, is that the area for moving your finger on a scroll is so short. If there were more Portrait support I suspect that long lists would prove easier to navigate with more space to get the scrolling up to speed.

I looks that it’s really impossible to satisfy everyone. Everybody said that kinetic scrolling was the reason for the nokia poor performance. Personally I prefer kinetic scrolling.
Other thing that people complain a lot is that capacitive is better the resistitive. In this case I’m for resistitive because it’s the only method that can handles handwrite recognition.

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I looks that it’s really impossible to satisfy everyone. Everybody said that kinetic scrolling was the reason for the nokia poor performance. Personally I prefer kinetic scrolling.
Other thing that people complain a lot is that capacitive is better the resistitive. In this case I’m for resistitive because it’s the only method that can handles handwrite recognition.
But the N900 doesn't even support Handwriting input method, does it ?

Dont get me wrong, I am all for resistive too, but thsi advantage that is shown for resistive (handwriting recognintion) is not even applicable for the N900 (again I havent played with a unit - just what I have heard).

The problem with scrollbars previously (in Daiblo at least) was that the scroll bars were very thin and trying to reach and scrioll down via the thin bars was a major excercise in control - till someone released a theme with a thick scroll bar. Then we complained that the Diablo version didnt support kinetic scrolling system wide.

Now that we have it, its the other way around. So of course any one UI interface will not make everyone happy - or satisfy every use case scenario.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
But the N900 doesn't even support Handwriting input method, does it ?

Dont get me wrong, I am all for resistive too, but thsi advantage that is shown for resistive (handwriting recognintion) is not even applicable for the N900 (again I havent played with a unit - just what I have heard).

The problem with scrollbars previously (in Daiblo at least) was that the scroll bars were very thin and trying to reach and scrioll down via the thin bars was a major excercise in control - till someone released a theme with a thick scroll bar. Then we complained that the Diablo version didnt support kinetic scrolling system wide.

Now that we have it, its the other way around. So of course any one UI interface will not make everyone happy - or satisfy every use case scenario.

It doesn’t support now. But Nokia has many phones that do (5800, 5530, n97, n97 mini) so it can be added in future firmware updates. If you change for capacitive (like it seems to be the plan in maemo6) you can say goodbye to that.