I recently installed the remote control software logmein.com on my Windows XP pc. I am expecting to receive my 770 within a couple of days, and am trying to figure out if I will be able to use it to remote control my pc. I contacted Customer Support at logmein.com, and this is the response I received:

"Although LogMeIn does not officially support the Linux platform, some Linux variants do support partial functionality to be used as a local computer controlling a LogMeIn target computer.

This is done through our legacy support for java, which is a cross-platform development environment. We do have official support for Linux on both sides of the connection planned for later this year, but for now, we do not support it officially.

To use a Linux computer to control a Windows PC running LogMeIn, you will need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

Most Linux distributions can install this from their Package Managers (RPM for Redhat based, Synaptic for Debian based, etc.).

Sun provides an RPM package at the link below.

If you would like to install manually, or do not use RPM to install packages, or have issues with the package manager install, try installing from source from the following link.

Note, you will need to go to Preferences > Remote Control settings and disable remote printing for the Remote Control feature to load properly and not with errors, since this isn't supported in Java on Linux.

Here is the link to install the RPM or source install of Java Runtime Environment.

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions."

Keeping in mind I know precious little about Linux, it would appear that assuming I can install the Java Runtime Environment on my 770, it should be able to connect to my pc. Assuming this is correct, is it just a matter of copying the correct Java Runtime Environment to my 770 RS-MMC card, and then tapping on it to install it? Something tells me it can't be quite this simple.

I have seen some cryptic messages regarding those who are using VNC to accomplish remote PC control, but in my past experience with VNC, it is a royal pain to setup port forwarding, etc., whereas logmein.com worked perfectly within 30 seconds of installation. Having one common solution whether I am trying to remote control from the 770 or another PC would greatly simplify things.

Can an experienced 770 user comment on the quoted response from logmein.com customer support? Would like to hit the ground running if at all possible.

I'm not an experienced 770 user, but I have an N800 and use LogMeIn (although not on the N800). I asked the tech support folks at LogMeIn several months ago about the compatibility of LogMeIn with the Opera browser, and was informed that Opera was not supported by LogMeIn.

Further, I am not absolutely certain about this, but I believe that Java is still nonfunctional with the N800 or 770. I read somewhere that Sun was making Java possible through their PhoneMe program, but I haven't worked too far into their potential solution. Here's a link, see what you think.

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobile...tformsNokia800

With regards to VNC, it isn't too hard to set up. It just takes a bit of patience.

Hope this helped a little bit, and if someone knows more about the setup of Java for the N800 or the 770, I'm sure that they will post on this thread.

Have you used your 800 with VNC? If so, how difficult was it to set everything up? How was the performance of the 800 in that application?

Yes, I have used my N800 with VNC. It was not difficult to set up.

The biggest challenge came from my internet service provider continually changing my IP address. You must type the correct IP address into the unit running VNC Viewer to 'find' your desktop computer that you wish to view. Since I didn't pay Verizon to have a static IP address, it changed every few days. I have friends whose IP addresses change much less than mine has, so these may not be typical results.

One workaround for this problem included using Orb (an internet streaming application for the internet tablets), as logging onto Orb from your internet tablet allows you to see the current IP address of the machine that you are accessing. I would simply access Orb from my N800 via their web access portal, and find the page that had my IP address posted. I would then use that information to log in via VNC Viewer. For all I know, this was the long way around the problem, but it worked. I sincerely hope this helps in some way, and if it makes you feel better, I own an N800 and also bought two 770s on Woot! yesterday. It was such a good deal, I had to pick up a 770 for my travel bag and one for my brother in the UK.

Cheers!

Oh, since I forgot to mention it...VNC Viewer works quite well. There are minor limitations, but I was able to perform most tasks without any problems.