Active Topics

someone please help.
yesterday the 'r' and the 't' keys weren't responding on the keyboard when i was texting, so i powered the phone off, and when i went to power it back on, nothing.
my battery was not dead, it had a full charge. i put it on the charger anyway, and the phone kept power cycling from the nokia welcome screen to the 5 little dots and it would freeze on the second to last dot from the left then power off.
now it doesn't even power cycle anymore.
it is not damaged in any way, it is only 3 months old.
i purchased the nokia care plan, but i would like to see if anyone knows of any fix.

now the phone is not responding to any charge. when plugged in, the LED indicator is a faint green.. D:

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Did you do anything with it? overclock? drops? software from extras devel?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Did you do anything with it? overclock? drops? software from extras devel?
i was reading about the overclocking, is that when you try to turn it on too many times after it has turned off? cause if so, yes. i kept letting it reboot, but all i got was that power cycling.
i have not dropped it. and idk what extras devel is/are so i'm goings to say no on that.
nokia care is closed right now or i would be on the phone with them. i'm sure they're going to have me send it in and i don't want to.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Hi,

I had, by the sounds of things, almost situation with my phone (not keyboard, but the power cycling and stopping on that dot).

Sorry to give the bad news, but my only option was to send it in for repair. Even reflashing it completely didn't help.

See: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47316

Anyway, best of luck.
- Micha.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I guess mwerle is right, (too lazy to search for it) the device cannot be started after a specific amount of reboot cycles because of a fault (read that when the first n900-power-cycling came up in this forum) and has to be reset by nokia care.

If you got sep. charger handy or another phone where you can charge the battery again you may try to reflash again.

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Actually it sounds to me JUST like the battery was flat.. when my battery is flat, if I turn on.. it buzzes.. lights up.. Nokia logo, dark screen.. five dots.. off

Are you absolutely sure it was charged..

the no boot after 16 faults thing I thought was fixed in PR1.1.. but if not you can try:

remove battery
plug phone into PC
wait for it to buzz or look like it is starting up
put battery back in..

but I don't think that'll help

One more "is the battery flat" test

Turn off
press and hold U
plug into computer

Does the screen STAY dark with a Nokia logo and a USB icon top right, or does the phone light up and start (and fail) to boot up..

If the first, then you could have a go at reflasher.. if the latter, I'm putting more money on duff or flat battery

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I guess mwerle is right, (too lazy to search for it) the device cannot be started after a specific amount of reboot cycles because of a fault (read that when the first n900-power-cycling came up in this forum) and has to be reset by nokia care.

If you got sep. charger handy or another phone where you can charge the battery again you may try to reflash again.
Sorry can you clarify a bit? Am I getting it right? no matter what you do with the phone after specific turn off turn on circles it wont turn on again? is it hardware or software related issue? is it fixed in PR 1.2 ?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

nooooooooooooooo! D:
i'm already on the phone with nokia seeing what they can do. it looks like i have tried what everyone else is suggesting.. if i do have to send it back, which it seems like i might, how do i save all the data from the phone? my n82 doesn't have the same battery. :\

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ The Americas
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Sorry can you clarify a bit? Am I getting it right? no matter what you do with the phone after specific turn off turn on circles it wont turn on again? is it hardware or software related issue? is it fixed in PR 1.2 ?
It's not fixed in PR1.2. I've been running PR1.2 for a while and last week I got the same problem.
The only way to turn it back on is while connected to the wall charger. Reflashing it doesn't work either.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
the device cannot be started after a specific amount of reboot cycles because of a fault ... and has to be reset by nokia care.
Am I getting it right? no matter what you do with the phone after specific turn off turn on circles it wont turn on again?
Better to handle this kind of problem at home : )

You can clear the boot count by entering R&D mode, boot up / power off in R&D mode, then switch back out of R&D mode.

Relevant thread

If that doesn't work, then simply reflash.

If you can't reflash your device in the usual way (holding down U while plugging in the USB lead, etc.) then it's very likely a hardware fault.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-24 at 14:09.