I think the double vibration that happens when I receive a text message is a bit over the top. I searched and couldn't find a way to modify this. Anyone out there know how to do this or if it's even possible? I actually really like the small vibration that occurs when the phone turns on. If I could make it like that I would be very happy.

Thanks.

Check the thread here.
You're looking to modify the line that says:
Code:
PatternIncomingMessage=3;3;2;2;30;470;0;500;154

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Is that only for the vibrations when you touch the screen? That's what it seems like while reading the thread.

That pattern in that thread is, but there are several other patterns in the same file that you can modify, including the one I posted above.
See also, this link for some more detailed instructions from jakiman on how to edit it.

Thanks. I only glanced at the mce.ini file for a second so I'll spend more time in it after work.

So I changed the incoming message settings to replicate the settings for turning the device on and saved the file and restarted the phone. It's not what I like so I opened the file again and tried to to make changes and save it. This time I think the file is read-only and it won't let me save it with the name mce.ini. I click away from the save button to go back to leafpad and it just crashes and asks me if I want to close leafpad. My question is, will I have to chmod the file to change the permissions and does anyone know what the original permissions were on the mce.ini file? Will 777 be okay?

EDIT: I downloaded VIM and opened the file with it and it won't let me modify the file, either.

EDIT2: I get "Operation not permitted" when I type the command chmod 777 /etc/mce/mce.ini. I assume I need root access? What is that command again?

EDIT3: I found that sudo gainroot gave me access and 777 worked (probably not the best thing to do). I was able to edit the file again. I still don't know what the original permissions on the file were, though.

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 2010-02-10 at 19:06.

The original permissions were 644
Code:
-rw-r--r--r-
The owner and group should be root.

You shouldn't have needed to change the permissions of the file to edit it just use sudo gainroot, and as root you'd have write permissions anyway,

You'd need to type
Code:
sudo gainroot
leafpad /etc/mce/mce.ini
Trying to edit the file as the normal user would result in the file being read-only, as you saw.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tips. I guess I just needed access and chmod wasn't necessary. The weird thing is that I was able to change it the first time without sudo and once I realized I didn't like the settings I opened it again and then it was read-only.