Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

Gizmodo Link with Pics

Originally Posted by Gizmodo
The Else Intuition, aside from being one of the first phones to use Access' Linux Platform v3.0 OS, is a 3.47-inch 480x854 slab of handset, with an OMAP 3430 processor, 16GB of internal memory, a five-megapixel camera, A-GPS, and 3.5mm headphone jack.
Access Press Release

Originally Posted by Access
ELSE: A New Category of Mobile Device
The first ELSE(TM), the first mobile device deploying the ELSE INTUITION(TM) platform, presents an entirely new category of mobile device that allows for a complete, fully-functional user experience. The device actually becomes the application, providing functionality that for the first time is able to match that of standalone off-the-shelf dedicated devices, such as digital cameras, top-ranked MP3 players, best-in-class GPS devices, and more, while maintaining an exceptional ease and simplicity of use.

---

Last edited by code177; 2009-10-23 at 16:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Not Palm OS (change your subject).
Access doesn't have the license to use the "Palm" or "Palm OS" brand. Its the Access Linux Project (ALP) OS.

With a name like Intuition, I hope it does more than the usual.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well I can't now that you've replied can I..

The UI looks impressive, but I'd like more than a few screenshots. As far as the rest, their ideas seem a bit delusional:

Amir Kupervas, CEO, Emblaze Mobile, said, "Our vision is to create a revolutionary mobile solution that will change users' experience in the mobile arena. Imagine a device that is not a phone surrounded by gimmicks you will not use;
The iPhone isn't surrounded by gimmicks either, and people either love it or hate the lack of functionality. How are they going to compete against Apple's cool factor on Apple's terms?

where the camera literally replaces your digital camera;
According to their own hardware specs, they might as well wish for unicorns.

I'd say Nokia or Samsung will get there first, unless there's a surprise 2012 Android device from Canon or something.

you get real-time push email wherever you are on the globe;
OMG AMAZING.

almost every song and film in the world is one click away;
Yeah, Nokia wanted to do the same, and the labels forced them to go with a DRM-based system that no one wants. Good luck with that.

and any one of its multitude of features is reached with no more than one light gesture of your finger and not buried deep inside folders within folders.
Imagine an editor... an editor where any one of its multitude of features is reached with no more than one press of Esc and a few keystrokes, and not buried deep inside menus within menus. Joe Average will love it!

Seriously, I love the UI pics. But this isn't going to sell well enough.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Thread title updated.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
The iPhone isn't surrounded by gimmicks either, and people either love it or hate the lack of functionality. How are they going to compete against Apple's cool factor on Apple's terms?
best guess, they stop talking about apple's products, and refuses to discuss any comparison with the press.

as for gimmicks, is that not what the multi-touch gestures are?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
i just read about this phone in an austrian online newspaper, and i must say, it looks quite impressive.

they have the promotion website up now, with a few demo videos, but apart from the (admittedly really impressive) User Interface there's not much info...
does anybody know what this "Access Linux Platform 3.0" is supposed to be? is it just another linux kernel powered proprietary OS, or is there a little bit of GNU present as well?

Amazingly its landscapy-portrait, or is that Portraity-landscape kind of UI.

Off course they will have the lefthanders shouting about no left hand mode.

Will it be posible to see this on the n900 ???

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
UI of the FirstElse is pretty slick. Definitely a "smart"phone in terms of that aspect. However, the UI is made for one-handed phone use. For Maemo devices, that's not been the target area to date, and so such a UI would be a pretty large break from the usage paradigm of the device.

I would expect to see something similar on a Maemo device that was marketed as a phone-first though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post: