Active Topics

Hi all,

As most everyone, my phone feels sluggish every now and then.
I had to move a large amount of data and decided to drop it on the phone to transport (mostly, my song library) - big mistake! It slowed it down to almost unusable with around 22GB taken in the internal storage.

Today I removed it and to my huge surprise I see the phone now flying and... off to the possible root of these slowdowns:

When I plugged the USB cable and mounted the Internal memory and MMC card in mass storage mode in my PC (they stop being available to the N900) my phone became fast as it as ever been, even with the same amount of free rootfs as before and the same widgets running, etc.

Only change was to plug the USB data cable in mass storage mode.

Can anyone who knows take a look at this issue and see if that is a possible cause for the slowdowns?

Cheers,
J

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
That is normal because the device is trying to re-entrying all of the files (mp3, pictures, videos) in to the database. It re-syncing all the list every time you mounting it as Mass Storage. The problem is in the Media Player on the device and the Photo Viewer.

The more files you've got on the eMMC or Memory card is the longer it take to relisting them again. This is a flaw of the N900 within the OS itself.

To solve the problem, try reboot the device a few times until the CPU load is no longer stay maximum.

I hope this issue will be fixed in the PR1.2

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-03-02 at 21:28.

That is hardly normal...

I would understand it would do it once to parse all the media when it mounts the memories (I assume it does it on the background on every boot) but it cannot have such a tool on the performance of the device to the point it sluggs everything out, UI included...

I guess that the method to lookup these mounts has to be different or less agressive...

---edit---

...and I see you missed my point. The device had been up whole day. It was not the indexing after mounting. It was the exact opposite. Sluggish and when those were unmounted from the phone it became VERY fast (dare I say "iPhone fast"...)

Last edited by Jaco2k; 2010-03-02 at 21:40.