Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
is there anyway to turn off the red light when you are recording videos?

i disabled it on the n85 but that was by changing the profile settings to turn it off.. idk if there is any for the n900?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
As far as i know nokia does not provide settings to turn that red light because of some european law. But since this is a linux device it would be trival to hack for some of the linux geeks....

I would like to know if such an european law really exists, as any other device I use does not have that red light (in europe). In Korea and Japan the camera phone has to make a shutter sound by law, if the device is sold there.

There is a bug report associated with this, see: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5909

Last edited by VRe; 2009-12-08 at 22:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to VRe For This Useful Post:
yeah, like i dont think iphones in the uk have red lights when they record? dont they?

Who are you trying to spy on?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
As far as i know nokia does not provide settings to turn that red light because of some european law. But since this is a linux device it would be trival to hack for some of the linux geeks....
I am not sure 100% about this... when i wanted to remove the red light from my n95-8gb..... one of the forum members said the above and he said that the only way was a hardware mod!

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
There are good reasons to turn it off of course. Sometimes if you are shooting close up those flashing lights show up in the footage and even play havoc with the white balancing.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Who are you trying to spy on?
lol no one, i just find it annoying that its red and bright as hell.. its like hey look at me im recording you >_>

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Actually I find it really annoying when you want to be discrete and record something - for example where recording or photography is permitted but not flash photography.

Stupid laws like these don't protect anyone because a serious perv will find a camera which doesn't have the light.

I also find that turning off the flash (flash always off) in the still photo settings of the camera app doesn't always work. It still flashes for a moment (not as long as the normal flash of course) before taking the photo, again WTF? I'd like to use my phone where flash photography isn't permitted - I'd only end up looking like a d-bag if the flash goes off when I have it turned off.

I guess the red light has to do something with autofocus.. i am not sure may be i am wrong.