Active Topics

I nosed around looking for this, but can't find it anywhere.

Is it possible to read the GPS (that is get the latitude, longitude, and other information) from the command line? I can think of several uses for this.

Originally Posted by jmayson View Post
Is it possible to read the GPS (that is get the latitude, longitude, and other information) from the command line? I can think of several uses for this.
I think you want something like this:
http://gps-saver.garage.maemo.org/

I just got a GPS last night, gonna have to give it a shot myself

I nosed around looking for this, but can't find it anywhere.

Well if you know the device name ie, /dev/ttyUSB0, or whatever it is. You should be able to telnet it.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

On the 810, if you execute "/usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper" (without the quotes) it will start up the GPS daemon and give a running log...
It is a bit cryptic, but the lines that start with "GPGGA" contain the latitude and longitude information, along with some other gunk I don't grok yet...

Probably wouldn't take a lot of bash-script to clean it up to a human readable output...

Last edited by crawdad; 2007-12-07 at 20:06. Reason: note that the info is 810-specific

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still debating between the N800 and N810. The ability to read the GPS, even if it's cryptic, tips the scales in favor of the N810.

I'll let everyone know how this works out.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still debating between the N800 and N810. The ability to read the GPS, even if it's cryptic, tips the scales in favor of the N810.
You'd need an external GPS for the N800, but the data can be read on the N800 too.

Edit: as mentioned above, /usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper works, you can redirect to a log file, or kill it and grep what you want from /dev/rfcomm0, etc.

Last edited by dblank; 2007-12-07 at 21:12.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
On the 810, if you execute "/usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper" (without the quotes) it will start up the GPS daemon and give a running log...
It is a bit cryptic, but the lines that start with "GPGGA" contain the latitude and longitude information, along with some other gunk I don't grok yet...

I haven't seen the rest of the file you're talking about but GPGGA is part of the NMEA spec, for which there are loads of resources online.