Active Topics

I just got me a new gadget today from Thinkgeek

Prior to ordering it I emailed them to find out if this device was SDHC compatible. They said no, but as it turns out it is...kinda. I stuck my 16GB Patriot card in it and it could read and write to the card just not see the full capacity, just up to the 4GB limit. That limit at max settings still lets me snap 2000 pics or 3 and 1/2 hours worth of dvd res video.

The best part is that because the N800 and this camera both use SD cards I can take video with the camera at better resolution than the one built in on my tablet and watch it or upload it anywhere just by moving the card.

One minor glitch I found so far is that because the camera records in mpeg4, the built in media player gives Codec Not supported error. Installing the OS2008 beta for Mplayer played the files fine though.

Another thing that might be of interest to coders out there (and the reason for this post) is that this camera uses Mini-USB, so with a mini to mini cable you could tether this camera directly to the N800 for a higher-res camera attachment of sorts. This doesn't work out of the box (at least for me) because my tablet hasn't been tweaked for USB Host mode.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Ah yes. I had been ogling this gadget, but the non-SDHC issue deterred me enough to not consider it any further.

Frankly, how someone could bring out a solid state camera these days without support for SDHC kinda boggles the mind, and makes me suspicious about what other stupidities the "designers" might have sneaked in there.

Too bad, the price is certainly right...

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Ah yes. I had been ogling this gadget, but the non-SDHC issue deterred me enough to not consider it any further.
That is the thing though. It doesn't support SDHC full capacity, but it can read and write to them up to the devices allocatable limit.

Remember when the N800 didn't support SDHC cards, then a simple firmware update fixed that? Even now the N800 doesn't "officially" support 16GB cards, but we all know they work.

My mom's LG phone isn't SDHC compatible so much so it wouldn't even read the card (microSDHC), just error it out. That is not the case with this camera so it makes me hope that the maker (TCL) may update the firmware at a later date. In either case, I'm happy with the picture quality and video resolution. I'll upload some pics taken with it later. Via image shack of course since I still have nightmares the last time I tried to use this sites built-in uploader.

Originally Posted by Sentinel1705 View Post
I just got me a new gadget today from Thinkgeek

Prior to ordering it I emailed them to find out if this device was SDHC compatible. They said no, but as it turns out it is...kinda. I stuck my 16GB Patriot card in it and it could read and write to the card just not see the full capacity, just up to the 4GB limit. That limit at max settings still lets me snap 2000 pics or 3 and 1/2 hours worth of dvd res video.

The best part is that because the N800 and this camera both use SD cards I can take video with the camera at better resolution than the one built in on my tablet and watch it or upload it anywhere just by moving the card.

One minor glitch I found so far is that because the camera records in mpeg4, the built in media player gives Codec Not supported error. Installing the OS2008 beta for Mplayer played the files fine though.

Another thing that might be of interest to coders out there (and the reason for this post) is that this camera uses Mini-USB, so with a mini to mini cable you could tether this camera directly to the N800 for a higher-res camera attachment of sorts. This doesn't work out of the box (at least for me) because my tablet hasn't been tweaked for USB Host mode.
Trained monkeys can make flip-books with their own crap and have better resolution that the nokia.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Sentinel1705:

Can you comment on the overall unit? Quality of video? Quality of construction? It would sure be nice to see a review and some sample video somewhere

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Sentinel1705:

Can you comment on the overall unit? Quality of video? Quality of construction? It would sure be nice to see a review and some sample video somewhere
Quality of construction is quite nice. It is not "Polished" stainless steel so fingerprints do not show on it which is quite nice. The trap door that conceals the mini-usb port for PC sync/charging via USB closes very nice. It is those little bits that make you feel the quality.

Battery door is standard. Push button down and then slide out. The unit can not be charged while on and I don't think you can use it while plugged in to the wall (manual was very scant). Have to turn it off to charge the battery, which is very user-replaceable.

The door to hold the SD card is a little flimsy, but the SD card uses a Push-in-to-lock mechanism and push it in again to pop it out. Not like our tablets. I guess long term or a lot of in and out may wear out the spring, but I just got it today and the unit seems to bite down on the SD card very securely.

Unit has a flash on the front which (and I'm still fiddling with the menu) I think can be turned on full-time for in-the-dark video recording. Video recording records with sound too and can be played back via a mono-speaker. Flash is equivalent to those on disposable cameras. Fairly bright but it is no xenon. Flash is not auto, you can set it to turn on (for pictures), go red-eye reduction, or just turn it off.

LCD screen is used for eveything - there is no optical viewfinder. However the screen can be swiveled around so that you can shoot yourself or playback with the screen reversed on the outside and closed.

Microphone also can be used to JUST record audio notes. There is a unit setting that toggles Video record - Picture Mode - Audio mode. All the controls are on the back side, one of which is a slider switch to move between taking stuff and playing back stuff.

On the front there is an AV port (with included adapter) that lets you either use headphones or plug it in to your TV.

Oh, also has a lanyard hole with included lanyard.

As far as menu goes, you can toggle the varios resolution settings (video and still) to maximize usage of your card. Unit can be set to auto-power off 3/5/10 minutes

I'm a bit torn on what type of SD card I want to shove in this thing now that I know SDHC card can be read (with a limit on the capacity of course). Option A is to get another 16GB card which will be moved back and forth between my NIT or Option B is to get a 2GB Eye-Fi card. Haven't had any experience with those so I'm still debating. Leaning towards another 16GB card but debating none-the-less.

Video and pictures still to come. Time for netflix here at HQ.

Here are some imageshack pictures of and by the video camera and a video clip.

Pictures of it taken with a Nikon D200.

Side by Side N800

Side by Side By Side - N800, Camera, Original Razr (yeah I'm old school)

On the included...tripod?

Profile Shot

Closed with LCD screen open

Fixed Focal length lense is not good for macro and there is no macro setting.

Same shot with flash on

Redeye flash

Autoflash

No Lights

Fore/Background

Distance

Distance Flash

Distance Auto-flash

A 1 minute video came out to be 17mb in size. The video is 640x480 and imageshack doesn't like the flavor of my video's extension. So any suggestions and I'll post the video too.

I would just youtube it but I don't think their flash player will render it in the same quality. Also, any requests of pictures taken with the camera (except of me) I will do my best to accomodate.

Just pondering out loud, but can the Eye-Fi even link with the iT's? Or is there some sort program needed to bridge the two.

Originally Posted by wizink View Post
Just pondering out loud, but can the Eye-Fi even link with the iT's? Or is there some sort program needed to bridge the two.
It can't. Unless there is some ad-hoc mode I havent heard of. The Eye-fi was just to hook the camera to my home network. It is a cool device in theory, but I don't think the added laziness on my part is worth the tradoff of having 16GB of space.

Haha. I agree, 16gb perhaps is hard to beat. Now if there was a bluetooth enabled sd card that could sync with the N8x0...