Active Topics

it never asks where you want the programs to be installed , can you install them to the removable memory cards?

The Following User Says Thank You to SPCartmanland For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
only if you clone your operating system to your removable memory. If you do that, your programs will be installed on your card and not the internal flash. Search around these forums for instructions on how to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mooler For This Useful Post:
On my old 770, under OS2006, i was not able to do the following. I never had root, so i couldn't edit /etc/fstab.

Note: I think of the two SD slots on the N800 as SD cards - neither is "internal" to me. They are both removable, and both will mount to an external machine via USB.

On my n800, i downloaded e2fsprogs, formatted one of my SD cards with ext3, and it mounted without problem. It also mounts on my Linux box when i plug the N800 in via USB. No root required.

The ext2/3 filesystem allows apps to run from there. So, after install, with root, one should be able to copy (use tar) a big directory tree to the SD card, then replace the directory tree on the internal card with a symbolic link (ln -s) pointing to the SD card. Future installs should also follow the link. Should work. Haven't yet tried it yet. You'll need root, because though you may have read permission, it's unlikely you can delete the stuff from the internal card. Naturally, removing the SD card breaks the link (until you put it back in). So you'd want to either dedicate a card to this (the n800 has two, so it's no big deal), or confine your experiment with things you don't really need. Perhaps bits of /usr/share/, though not all of it.

So far, my internal card on my n800 has been big enough. And, my 2 GB SD is full of (mostly) audio and video.

If i ever reflash my n800, i'll be tempted to:
1. gain root first.
2. disable the doc purge.
3. point /usr/share/doc at a big SD card. (I might just point /usr/share there).
4. Install everything.

Data entry is painful (though much better with an iGo). IMO, the unit is VERY good for reading stuff. In particular, i like to read where it's quiet. The n800 has no moving parts, and sound can be turned off. It annoys me to no end when the basic docs are missing.

So far, my internal card on my n800 has been big enough. And, my 2 GB SD is full of (mostly) audio and video.