Active Topics

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I really didnt want to start another thread about Crapple but this one really got my attention

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-ios-a...cking-2098410/

Patent abstract describes a security-minded application – unauthorized use of the device, such as an iPhone, resulting in its rightful owner being notified via email, voicemail or other service – the full text also suggests that hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, swapping SIMs or moving the device away from a preset area could also trigger either lock-downs or selective feature blocks. In addition to full or partial blocks of this sort, the device could also take a photo of the person using the handset.
I think this time they gone too far, if Apple implements this stuff into their iDevices it will be the beginning of the end

P.S. http://www.patentvest.com/console/re...100207721.html

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-08-21 at 17:02.

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
...unauthorized use of the device... of ie. MY, well-payed device ? wtf?

And if I crush it with hammer, will Apple sue me of destroying their proprietary software?

LOL!

maybe they might also sue you for replacing SIM card or moving from one city to another ...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't see the point of people here shouting out loud about whatever Apple is doing in their own garden. Sort of like picket fencing outside a loud club.

The more interesting question to me is that.. would this patent obstruct other (open/oss) implementation of security app that involves taking pictures of the supposed perp and sending it home (to us)?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
it's the "rightful owner" part that worries me, despite what you may feel about the device you bought with your own money. in apple's eyes its still theirs and always will be!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
Crazy Jobs !!!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't see the point of people here shouting out loud about whatever Apple is doing in their own garden. Sort of like picket fencing outside a loud club.

The more interesting question to me is that.. would this patent obstruct other (open/oss) implementation of security app that involves taking pictures of the supposed perp and sending it home (to us)?
Well since iPhone is a very popular device I think we can look from a broader perspective. I dont know any research which was focused on which kind of people use iPhone but afaik tech savvy people who own the device most likely jailbroke it which means they will be affected. if one uses iPhone as Apple wants you to use it then sure they will be more than happy since that show Apple cares about "security" of your (their) property

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Lord Jobs giveth and Lord Jobs taketh away. It is written. Now tithe to the Church of Apple and STF up.
Registered Linux user #266531.

i find that akward as it doesnt fit well with the new legistlations saying jailbreaking IS legal.
In my prespective, if i buy a mobile device, i but it as a whole. Both Hardware and Software.

Because it might encourage Nokia to copycat and go further than their already egregious SMS of the n900 phone number and other information to Nokia with the PR1.2 update.

Certainly patenting obvious and widely publicly discussed ideas is a concern. The discussions on this board may be after the patent date, but the discussions on openmoko lists (no camera though) are before the patent date.