I have a printer with its own ip address on the local network. It also has an ftp server so I can use maemoftp to put a file to this printer for printing. This works fine for text files, but when I try to print a pdf, it's a mess. Does anyone know whether it is possible to print files with different formats, for example, image files (jpg, tiff) or pdf's to a printer that has this kind of ftp capability? Would it make more sense to tryo to convert the pdf into postscript and ftp the postscript file to the printer?

Any help appreciated.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Is your printer a postscript printer?

Yes, one of the options under ftp printing is Postscript.

But is there a way to convert pdf to postscript or in general if I can print postscript, how would I convert other types of files?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dannemil View Post
Yes, one of the options under ftp printing is Postscript.

But is there a way to convert pdf to postscript or in general if I can print postscript, how would I convert other types of files?
On a Linux computer with a printing subsystem, it would be as simple as printing to a file. On the Itablet -- ugh.

I have tested QuickScript on my old non-networked PS LaserJet (with a Bluetooth module), but haven't yet managed to get a connection right. I have a colour LaserJet with Ethernet AP, but it's been mothballed, so testing that won't be easy.

Penguinbait ported Cups to his KDE port, so maybe you could try that?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
On a Linux computer with a printing subsystem, it would be as simple as printing to a file. On the Itablet -- ugh.

I have tested QuickScript on my old non-networked PS LaserJet (with a Bluetooth module), but haven't yet managed to get a connection right. I have a colour LaserJet with Ethernet AP, but it's been mothballed, so testing that won't be easy.

Penguinbait ported Cups to his KDE port, so maybe you could try that?
I am used to using ps2pdf on my linux desktop to convert from postscript to pdf, but I noticed that there is also a program on the NIT called pdf2ps, so I will try that. If I can convert a pdf into a postscript, then at least I could print some files other than just text files.

So I have tested the printer, and it does print postscript. I can convert pdf's to ps using the utility pdf2ps. It will also print regular text files. Still no go for images.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannemil For This Useful Post: