Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hi all. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks to sunny Mexico (temperature here in Winnipeg: -30C, temperature in Cancun: +30C. I'm excited! ).

Anyway, I'm trying unsuccessfully to plan a route between Cancun (where the plane lands) & Tulum (where the resort is) & neither Maemo mapper (MM) nor even Google Maps (GM) can get it. No matter what I enter I get 'invalid source or destination'. Starting with 'Cancun, MX' to 'Tulum, MX', entering 'Mexico' in full, or even trying map coordinates (Cancun airport @21.039946,-86.876341, Tulum @20.215308,-87.430437) doesn't work with either MM or GM.

MM or GM can't even find Tulum directly. I managed to find it on this map of the Yucatan Peninsula (lower right corner POI, that's how I got the coordinates).

Anyone have any ideas how I can plan this route? I want to be able to download as much of the maps beforehand, because the resort doesn't have internet access (if I'd been the one to do the booking, that would have been top on my list ... )

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Well, since you can find coordinates for individual points, you could manually digitize the route to whatever precision seems sane, and maybe download maps with a wider radius than normal to ensure coverage. That should be easy for the long stretch down 307 (I assume that's how you'll go), but planning a route out from the airport may not be so straightforward.

That doesn't give you a "real" route, for, e.g. turn-by-turn, but will get you the maps. It sounds like you have a navigator for directions, so I hope she's better with maps than with priorities!

Enjoy the sun!