Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London
I seem to be having some problems with my N810 recognising a Sandisk 8 GB microSDHC.

I currently have a 2 GB microSD installed via a miniSD adapter with no problems but when I install the 8 GB SD it is not recognised and my system stalls.

To solve the problem I have reformatted the card (FAT32) on my laptop and it seems to work fine when I transfer files to and from it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Markie71 For This Useful Post:
Apologies everyone. I should clarify that after reformatting it still doesn't work in th3 N810

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
does the n810 file manager see the card? if so, can you reformat it in there?

if not, how is it partitioned? for it to work automatically and be seen by the file manager you need to have the whole card, or at least some of it, as the first partition.

Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
does the n810 file manager see the card? if so, can you reformat it in there?

if not, how is it partitioned? for it to work automatically and be seen by the file manager you need to have the whole card, or at least some of it, as the first partition.
File manager doesn't recognise the card at all so I can't format it.

As mentioned this is only the case on the N810 as my Vista laptop has no issues recognising the card.

I am not using the card for anything else but the N810 so there should be no issues regarding partitioning. I hope !!!!

you need to check out the partitioning; use sfdisk or similar on the tablet, or whatever Vista has.

the tablet file manager will only see the first partition, I believe, and the partition type should be something sensible, either vfat or linux.

if you can, I would use "sfdisk -l" on the tablet to check that it's sensible, and if not, use sfdisk to make it so, then put a filesystem on it with either mkdosfs (for vfat) or mke2fs for ext2.

Ok, this may seem simple and stupid but try this: push the Microsdhc as hard as you can into the adapter, push the card into the tablet as hard as you can (use the stylus) and then close the cover as hard as you can... (not being sarcastic).

if it is the internal card that's giving problems: does the tablet say "memory card available" when you replace the battery cover? If not, has the little magnet fallen out? it's a little square, 5x5mm, on the cover itself, by the latch. on the n800 it is, at least

if this magnet isn't there, the tablet won't notice that the rear cover has been replaced, and the internal memory card will remain disabled.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

I'm having a problem with the external card rather than the internal one.

I tried pushing it in hard but it didn't make a difference.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense but i'm putting it down to an incompatability between the microSDHC and the miniSD adaptor.

What do you think ??

Do you see any devices created for it in /dev? Something like /dev/mmcblk*?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Your miniSD adaptor may be broken. The connector inside is very delicate.