Somebody please advise how I can SAFELY edit this file. I have root enabled and have installed xterm and vim and am familiar with editing with vi in Unix/Linux and in doing chmod.
I know in Linux I need to use visudo, but how do I do it on the Nokia?
Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted by Robert Frommer
Somebody please advise how I can SAFELY edit this file. I have root enabled and have installed xterm and vim and am familiar with editing with vi in Unix/Linux and in doing chmod.
Thank you for your help.
The same way, using /usr/sbin/visudo. You might need to have the EDITOR or VISUAL environment variables set in order for it to know where to find vi.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Robert Frommer
Thank you for your help.
export VISUAL=/bin/vi
visudo

(This assumes you have root access - which I assume is your real problem? Try looking here)

BTW, the path to vi depends on if you're using 2005 or 2006, so make sure you know where vi (or vim) really is.

Hope this helps,

Brad.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the "I had root access" in the original post, and I was 2 minutes late with the reply. Oh well.

Last edited by bradb; 2006-06-13 at 22:46. Reason: didn't read original post

Thank you bradb and gnuite for your help. It did the trick.