Active Topics

Hi...
I've just installed VIM editor on my N810 and found one problem. When I want to move the cursor (with the cursor keys in INSERT mode) to the other position so result is very strange for me - letters like A,B,C,D are pasted on the new line. But in VI a movement works fine without any problem. I don't know if it's normal or not and It simply wants some setup or something. With a BT keyboard it does the same.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by cz7asm; 2008-07-25 at 15:42.

Seems terminfo related. If you run "export TERM=linux" before starting vim it's a bit better.

Thanks... You're right - it's a bit better. Cursor keys work well but still it's not perfect. Backspace doesn't work and space bar behaves very weirdly. But in Vi everything is OK so I'm confused why it doesn't work in Vim.

Didn't somebody have the same problem?

Hm, it's neither terminfo (xterm entry is identical to Ubuntu's for example) nor osso-xterm (vim behaves the same in ssh sessions) actually.

Most of the symptoms seem to be just from vim running in "compatible" mode. If you create a .vimrc file (can be empty) in your home directory it then defaults to "vim" mode and cursor keys etc work. The only thing that may not do what you expect is backspace, and that's fixable with something like "set backspace=indent,eol,start" in .vimrc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: