Active Topics

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Ok, I know there are a lot of us out there that use both an N8x0 and an Nseries phone... my question is HOW?

And I don't mean data tethering. I mean how do you split up your time? Where do you watch videos? What's the weirdest way you tried to connect/use them together?

For me, I tried using the N95's UPnP server over an ad-hoc network created by the phone to stream media and playlists to the N810. It worked pretty nicely actually for the subway, but obviously I'm trying up the wi-fi connectivity to just the UPnP, and it put a huge drain on the phone's battery.

Mostly, I will open media files on the phone over Bluetooth and stream them that way -- Nokia Multimedia Transfer will manage the phone (but not the tablet, even though it knows it's a tablet, grr) so it's the best way to make sure I have the tracks I want from iTunes without worrying about having space on the tablet. It seems inefficient but it works surprisingly well.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Wow cool

I have a n85 (recently upgraded my N95. )

Can you point me to some sites on how to achieve this. Looks like a cool feature.

Something else I would love to be able to achieve. If anyone knows how to start.

I would like to be able to sync my mail for exchange contacts, emails, and calendar from the N85 to my N810 so I can read respond etc with the full keyboard and display. Also SMS etc.

I am currently looking into the Symbian SDK to try and write a program to do this.

But this is way beyond anything I have done before. Most of my experience is in python. Ill prolly use this on the N810 side. I am also thinking that bye using python on the N810 side. The application can also be used on any BT enabled netbook. AKA palm folio idea but linked to symbian s60 phones.

If anyone has ideas of examples I can use. Tools that already do this. Or wants to join in and help. Come aboard.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2009-01-18 at 21:37.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
so I can read respond etc with the full keyboard and display. Also SMS etc.
For text message sending and receiving, and answering and calling phone numbers, install phonelink.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
phonelink does not work particulary well with S60 3rd edition devices such as the N95. It's actually the Gnokki stuff not phonelink itself.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
For text message sending and receiving, and answering and calling phone numbers, install phonelink.
As mentioned by Gazza_D

I have been completely unable to get phonelink working with my N95 or the N85.

I don't have an Nseries as I have a Nokia 6680, but I was doing a lot of the same stuff on that cell phone that I am currently doing my N800; watching video, listening to music, surfing the web, etc. These days, my cell phone is only a data modem, address book, tip calculator and emergency browser for surfing and checking email. Otherwise, I do use it for Google maps because Google maps is useless for me on the tablet.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
As mentioned by Gazza_D

I have been completely unable to get phonelink working with my N95 or the N85.
Yeah, I never got phonelink to work with my N95.

Similarly to the UPnP, I tried using S60 Mobile Web Server to give the tablet access to the phone's features (it'll let you SMS, too) but again, it requires a Wi-Fi connection and a roundtrip over the Internet -- there's no way to quickly link the two locally over, say, a BT connection in case there's no access point available.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
If there was a way to access the mobile web server speedily over bluetooth it would fix a load of issues for linux access to S60 phones, as my phone (6120c) does not have wifi bluetooth access would be the only way. Hopefully Nokia will give us something at some point.