Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
OK, I have to admit I don't really understand the technical background...

The thing I noticed, though, that in Berlin there was a lot of talk about clutter, an "enhanced" GTK+, Qt... but I didn't see the word "Hildon" on any of the slides available so far.

Does this mean Hildon's dead? Or is it the "enhanced" in "enhanced GTK"?

Form what little I understood yesterday, Clutter is a 'canvas' - a drawing engine, no widgets in there. I don't believe Qt is anywhere on the Fremantle roadmap.

What's left is enhanced GTK+ widgets to make finger-friendly interfaces, while supposedly staying compatible with API calls in existing code. So that would be the new Hildon.

Did I miss anything ?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Clutter is one of the Ubuntu MID Edition UI's, isn't it?
And, the Ubuntu MID Edition stuff is built on top of Hildon, isn't it?

(sorry, I'm just speculating and recalling vague statements from the past, I haven't looked too deeply into Clutter and Ubuntu MID Edition)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Clutter is very low-level, yes - no widgets...

Why don't read up on Clutter on it's official homepage?

http://clutter-project.org/

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hildon isn't dead. Read some of the recent news items. Nokia is even adopting more GNOME, Freedesktop.org, and GTK+ programs. Qt won't take over GTK+ usage any time soon (maybe with or after Harmatan is my guess). Fremantle will have Qt support on the side. However, its been argued programming with Qt is much easier than GTK+, and its been argued its easy to port Qt software. I don't know about this, I'm gonna try porting Qt software soon. In any case, with Qt 4.5, Qt blends in very well in current GTK+ theme, and the tons of Qt application available are welcome on the Maemo platform. Don't fear, be excited.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
From my understnading of the sessions.

Hildon will still be there, in fact I would not expect a huge leap from the current "look" of the desktop. There will be neat effects, but it's not going to be a hypercube or something weird. As they said, there will still be menus, status bar applets, and home screen applets.

QT is already working thanks to builds from the community. I would expect Nokia doesn't want to have to "officially" support Qt until it can dedicate the same type of integration people like they do with GNOME.

Clutter is neat, but the most exciting thing in terms of UI was both liqbase and the new, soon to be 100% opensource Canola2 and Carman. Those sessions really highlighted how much the n8x0 hardware can do graphically.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post: