Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Just read this news item on the register regarding the new SHXC card format launched at CES http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01...rmat_launched/

Anybody else up for 4 Terabytes of storage in an N800?

Might have to sell the house to afford them though....

DO NOT WANT.

SDHC already is naturally extendable to 2TB, but standardizing on the proprietary exFAT is just evil; FAT32 works up to 2TB, and exFAT has no real compatibility. (Platforms are Windows CE, Vista, and NT7 only.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Yes, but FAT64 can store bigger files than FAT32. Is it going to be popular? Not yet...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, clever idea, just keep bumping the "bit-rate" on the fat

Originally Posted by tso View Post
heh, clever idea, just keep bumping the "bit-rate" on the fat
If only it were just an increase in the address width, like FAT12->FAT16 or FAT16->FAT32. (To be clear, it does have 64-bit cluster addressing, but is not very similar to FAT32 in other respects.)

Yeah, I went by the SD working group's booth and ran across a LOT of information on this. It actually looks quite promising IMHO. Sure, it won't be normal drives for data access speed, but my gawds, imagine the long term storage possibilities in a very, very tiny form factor.

I've got the press release on this if you guys want anymore details beyond what the register gave. I also find it odd that they got out the info on this so quickly as I didn't even see them there. Saw Reuters, BBC, Engadget and lots of others, but no Register guys.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
. . . imagine the long term storage possibilities in a very, very tiny form factor.
Sadly, those needs could've been met just fine by SDHC without requiring that nasty exFAT (how long do you think it will be until OS X and Linux actually get to use these cards?).

Mostly, this just seems like a good way to alienate a lot of your market, put money into Microsoft's pockets and further confuse consumers.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
DO NOT WANT.

SDHC already is naturally extendable to 2TB, but standardizing on the proprietary exFAT is just evil; FAT32 works up to 2TB, and exFAT has no real compatibility. (Platforms are Windows CE, Vista, and NT7 only.)
Thank you for the heads up

What type of FS will we move to though? Ext2?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Sadly, those needs could've been met just fine by SDHC without requiring that nasty exFAT (how long do you think it will be until OS X and Linux actually get to use these cards?).
i suspect apple would just license it, as needed. not that i know of any official apple card readers, so maybe it would be licensed by whoever ends up providing a third party reader to apple products?

and long time storage? flash runs out of a charge at some point. but im reading some interesting news about mram

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tso View Post
i suspect apple would just license it, as needed. not that i know of any official apple card readers, so maybe it would be licensed by whoever ends up providing a third party reader to apple products?
Yeah, but will they provide that functionality for older OS releases, or will anybody who wants to use these damn things have to switch to bleeding edge?

Either way, it makes me sick to think that you'll have to license something from Microsoft to use a "standard".