Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
http://www.falsedichotomies.org/node/73

I somehow suspect that there is a misunderstanding or that this will be clarified. But then maybe I'm giving Google too much benefit of the doubt...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect one can classify the android project as a rogue.

hell, its mostly a company that google bought at some point, and is probably running autonomous internally.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
"Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your device and not on any other equipment. Unless explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, tethering your device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted."
Yup^ This bit has always bothered me. If a carrier is selling DATA per bit (as many US carriers have tried to do for years); why do they care how you consume it?

You would think that the only disadvantage to them would be with unlimited DATA plans or if the expect revenue for hits ID'ed as coming from their device.
However, using your own "equipment" allows you to escape the "walled garden" that is contained by their device. It all might have something to do with that last century thinking and any agreement they may have with content providers as a result of it.

US carriers have stifled DATA use for years hoping to control revenue. They controlled it alright. Adoption of DATA over cell in the US is dismal.

IMHO, restricting the use of DATA in these ways is bad for any economic recovery.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-03 at 14:29. Reason: speeling

The beauty about the G1 is that you can still get the apps directly from the developers; they just won't be on the market. I think this is the first bad move I've seen from T-Mobile that affects me, and I think they made this move to promote their new USB wifi adapters. However, if one "roots" their G1, then can continue to tether.