Active Topics

What would you like to see on the next maemo non-phone device. I would like to see 1024x600 resolution and a 5 row keyboard. I would like to see a device for the den more than a portable device

Well Maemo is intended for pocketable devices. There are other Linux based UIs that might be better suited for this kind of tablet device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
The fact that I can carry my n800 in my pocket is a big deal. I wouldn't want to see the tablets get too much larger than they are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
What would you like to see on the next maemo non-phone device.
  • 4-5" display (higher resolution welcome but very unlikely for Fremantle at least).
  • Fuller QWERTY keyboard (or no physical keyboard and a return of the stylus one, but that's also very unlikely).
  • Full size SD slot, accessible externally.
  • Mini-USB.
  • Full size stand.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Well Maemo is intended for pocketable devices. There are other Linux based UIs that might be better suited for this kind of tablet device.
You can get 1024x600 (or 1000x600, same aspect ratio as 800x480) in pocket-sized LCDs these days, see for example the Sony UX280P or the Sharp Netwalker (which aren't pocketable for other reasons).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What would you like to see on the next maemo non-phone device
Simple. I want Harmattan/Maemo 6. I'm going to skip Maemo 5 almost totally.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
it really doesn't matter all that much if it has cell radio and the phone application built in. i think i could get myself to using at least the 3G data connection and SMS/MMS.

what's essential though is a 4"-5"-screen plus everything the N900 has inside. keyboard is optional, but if present, if must at least be 4-row, better 5.

also, i want all the hardware keys the 770/N800 had, and i want them all on the front. and finally: metal, no plastic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
What would you like to see on the next maemo non-phone device. I would like to see 1024x600 resolution and a 5 row keyboard. I would like to see a device for the den more than a portable device
I would like to see an HD video camera (720 or 1080), optical zoom at least 3x, 8 MP would be nice, and I want Java and N-Gage (a D-Pad - maybe one like the Mototola Cliq has... or one like E72 has with the center button being also an optical pad)

Originally Posted by lma View Post
You can get 1024x600 (or 1000x600, same aspect ratio as 800x480) in pocket-sized LCDs these days, see for example the Sony UX280P or the Sharp Netwalker (which aren't pocketable for other reasons).
Yes, of course. I was referring to "more so than a portable device". I'd say there is little use in making a device pocketable, if it's not meant to be portable.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
A bigger screen, e.g. 4.1" as in the N810. The overall device could still be smaller than the N810, which would be pocketable for many users.

It doesn't need to have a physical keyboard, but if it has a keyboard it should be a good one. The HTC Touch 2 Pro keyboard is getting very positive reviews. It HTC can do it, so can Nokia. It ain't gonna happen though, because Nokia has said they want to standardise user expectations for Nokia keyboards around what is offered by the N900 and N97 mini.

A bigger battery. If I can browse the web solidly for four hours, or if I can capture a GPS trace from a one-day hike, then I'll be happy.

Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Nokia has said they want to standardise user expectations for Nokia keyboards around what is offered by the N900 and N97 mini.
They have? ! Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a reference to the exact wording? Leaving aside whether standardising on something so limited is a good idea, they don't seem to have done a very good job at it: the N900 and N97mini symbol layouts are completely different so there's no benefit to a user swapping between the devices.