Active Topics

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Hi, here's a noob question:

I'm trying to compile xmp (CLI XMPlayer for Linux, MODSupport didnt work for me) for Maemo 5, but I'm already stuck b/c of a funny problem :/ In GNU/Linux, I just do; chmod +x configure, ./configure, make, make install.

In Maemo things are different. chmod +x configure, and after ./configure (with root privileges) doesnt work, permission denied. After I tried "make" and It seems I dont have a tool named "make". How you guys compile things on Maemo?

PS: It seems I'm suffering from "the rootfs full problem" too, Its already at %93 and I have no idea about how can I reduce it, it was %70~ , and suddenly its now %93, and reboot&remove new apps method didnt work, Cant we have a "graphical app" to see whats going on? Like Filelight on GNU/Linux?

Last edited by Aranel; 2009-12-20 at 16:32.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Normally, you'd use the SDK (search for Maemo5 SDK in Forum Nokia), which builds things on a desktop computer.

While it's not the most common way, you can of course build on a device -- I'd suggest a chroot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Thanks but thing is.. I dont know how to chroot to my Maemo =)

Then search for the Maemo 5 SDK and download it, I think it's easier (more documented at least) for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
So, its not possible to just give "make" and compile :/ OK, I'm downloading the SDK.

It is possible. You have to add the SDK repos and then apt-get install gcc, make, autoconf, etc. But it's not a very good idea because it will fill up most of the root filesystem even with nothing else installed. And gcc runs very slow, much slower than I would have expected.

And while this might allow make to run, it might still be a long way to be able to run configure (bash, etc.).

No, it all works fine. It just eats up most of your disk space and runs really slow.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
In Maemo things are different. chmod +x configure, and after ./configure (with root privileges) doesnt work, permission denied
didn't you do that on the /home/user/MyDocs partition? it's mounted with noexec flag by default - so you can't run anything off it...

The Following User Says Thank You to andree For This Useful Post: