Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Monterrey, Mexico
I have the N800, would have upgraded to N900 if Nokia hadn't left out the 1900MHz band that I need to get functional UMTS with my carrier in Mexico

I currently use a SonyEriccson K750i phone to provide EDGE Internet to the N800.

I found this guide to "Use your Nokia N95 as a Bluetooth GPS receiver and modem for your N800" and tried to follow it using a Nokia 5800 but so far I haven't been successful making Maemo Mapper detect the GPS on the 5800.

My question is:
What phones would you recommend that would give 3G and GPS capabilities to the N800 via bluetooth?

Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to alex_mayorga For This Useful Post:
Overall the N82 is probably the best complement to the N8x0 tablets, but that's my opinion. The number of reasons are plenty: Xenon, OMAP etc.

Ugh, with my N900 I can even leave N800 at home most of times. So there is tablet, GPS and 3G phone are ... all in same device . Me loves that device since it both phone and tablet at same time.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I don't know if this will help you but I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with my N810 and I did my initial pairing with the Control Panel GPS Location function leaving it set to my GPS device. Perhaps that would help you as well. Each Bluetooth function has it's own protocol which should make the fact that the GPS is in a phone not matter. Not all Bluetooth devices support all protocols. Perhaps your 5800 does support the protocol for being a GPS receiver.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Hi George,

btw
finally got patched mm 2.6.2 for 2007He
from
TA-t3

http://tinyurl.com/maemo262

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Darius2006 View Post
Hi George,

btw
finally got patched mm 2.6.2 for 2007He
from
TA-t3

http://tinyurl.com/maemo262
Glad you got it straitened out. I run 2.6.2 on my N810 and with the Bluetooth GPS receiver I bought am very happy with the performance.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Monterrey, Mexico
C0rt3x,

Thanks on the pointer I don't think N82 is available these days in Mexico. Besides Nokia annoyed me so much by not putting the band I need in Mexico that I almost want to buy another brand as revenge.

PowerUser,

No need to brag about your N900 as I said Nokia doesn't seem to think we Mexican should carry their latest gadget.

I've gone through my carrier's phone line up and they have Nokia 6790 that does have GPS and UMTS. I believe that's phone is known as the "AT&T Surge" up there in the US. Any experiences matching it with the N800?

Thanks!