Active Topics

hello, my problem is that when I do these commands for update:

sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

my N900 has stopped working good. now every time I lock the screen when I come back all the applications crashed, contacts, conversations, etc. .. Then when I enter the menu, after a few seconds of loading, applications back to work (bad) ... how can I fix? I'm forced to format? when comes out PR 1.2??? I need help

sorry for english :/

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Sorry but there is not enough information.

You need to tell us:

1. What you are trying to do

2. What errors you see.

You might want to think about uninstalling recently installed applications.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PaK View Post
hello, my problem is that when I do these commands for update:

sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

my N900 has stopped working good. now every time I lock the screen when I come back all the applications crashed, contacts, conversations, etc. .. Then when I enter the menu, after a few seconds of loading, applications back to work (bad) ... how can I fix? I'm forced to format? when comes out PR 1.2??? I need help

sorry for english :/
Think back to when you first started having problems and uninstall all the apps you've installed since then.
If that doesn't solve your problems then your best bet is a reflash of the firmware.
If the problems are not too bad and you can live with them for now then your best bet is probably to wait for pr1.2 and then reflash to that.

the problem is the same : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52854

at this point the solution is wait for new kernel or : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3687

for now i fix with that workaround and wait for PR 1.2, Thanks everybudy !

EDIT : the problem was not fixed, now I try to unistall the power kernel (I do not know why I have it installed, I believe that you have installed by some application -.-)

Last edited by PaK; 2010-05-17 at 12:34.

power kernel unistalled... fixed

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
power kernel unistalled... fixed
Unrelated, but you might have voided your warranty during that "accident."
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Unrelated, but you might have voided your warranty during that "accident."
O_O , I hope not

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
As far as I know, you should not be doing:

Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
O_O , I hope not
Overclocking voids your warranty. If you by accident turned on the overclocking when you installed the power kernel, sorry, but this little place is the only place you're going to get help for the N900 now.

As someone else said, you shouldn't be updating from the terminal, unless you have a very specific and clear goal.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Overclocking voids your warranty. If you by accident turned on the overclocking when you installed the power kernel, sorry, but this little place is the only place you're going to get help for the N900 now.

As someone else said, you shouldn't be updating from the terminal, unless you have a very specific and clear goal.
How can you prove I overclocked my N900 if I was to take it to Nokia? There isn't any physical evidence if you reflash.