This package has simple functionality:

If during boot (sometime in the first 5 seconds, while the white screen with NOKIA still displays) the camera door is open and the camera key is pressed then:
  • The LED is turned on bright white for a second - this signals to the user that the press is registered.
  • The scripts in /etc/rescue-boot.d/ directory are executed very early in the boot process.
  • The scripts in /etc/rescue-boot-late.d/ directory are executed after all file systems are mounted.

This is useful for developers that their development might cause the system to become non bootable.

For example developer of MyMenu might put a script that contains
Code:
mv /etc/xdg/menus/hildon.menu /
in /etc/rescue-boot.d/

And then if a user complains that MyMenu caused his system a reboot-loop, then the user can be instructed to perrform a rescue boot. Then the system will boot (with an empty launcher), and the user can run xterm with ctrl-shift-x and restore a known working hildon.menu while sending the problematic hildon.menu for analysis.

If MyMenu uses /home/user/.config/menus/hildon.menu instead, then the script needs to be in /etc/rescue-boot-late.d/, since /home is not yet mounted during execution of /etc/rescue-boot.d/.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I can't install rescue-boot with apt-get from extras-devel, I get a size mismatch problem. Instead I had to download the deb and use dpkg. Here's the error:

Code:
Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free rescue-boot 1.0 [1024B]
Fetched 1028B in 0s (10.6kB/s)
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/free/r/rescue-boot/rescue-boot_1.0_all.deb  Size mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

+1 - can't download this from the repo...

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
this is now (maybe it was a dependecy before already) required to install before the latest Matan's Hildon Home.
before I crash my N900, is this safe to install on top of Multiboot ? or do they fight, as it seems they are both playing in the same area ... ?

rescue-boot and multiboot do not conflict, and it is safe to have both installed.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.