Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I tried to do a video call from the N900 to the N800 on Google Talk. The N800 works fine turning on the camera and broadcasting the video (albeit really crappy video) to the N900, however when I turn on the N900's camera....crash, and both calls revert back to voice calls. I am guessing this is a bug, or can anyone with both devices make a true video call and is it something just I'm experiencing?

That's dissapointing. I thought one Nokia device would be able to video chat with the other - just like we could video chat with N800 to a N810 - of course both were running same software in that case.

What's also disappointing is that the video call on the chat client seems to to be not interoperable with any other google talk client out there (web, ichat). So this relegates itself to being useless.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by phi View Post
I tried to do a video call from the N900 to the N800 on Google Talk. The N800 works fine turning on the camera and broadcasting the video (albeit really crappy video) to the N900, however when I turn on the N900's camera....crash, and both calls revert back to voice calls. I am guessing this is a bug, or can anyone with both devices make a true video call and is it something just I'm experiencing?
I can confirm this as being the same for me too. I believe though that there was already a mention of a problem with the front facing camera codec posted so possibly this is the issue and the GUI hasn't been unlinked from the relevant call?

I get the feeling it has something to do with the video driver since the video starts for a second, then it crashes and switches back to voice-only.

I have filed a bug, please vote for it if you find this to be true.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6548

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barcelona, Spain
Has anyone tried gtalk video chat with any other client with success ?

is it supposed to work with the webmail client for example ?

I find the video chat of gtalk to be very buggy overall... in all clients

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
As Mikhail said on the bug, video call support is slated for later update.

Originally Posted by skzo View Post
Has anyone tried gtalk video chat with any other client with success ?

is it supposed to work with the webmail client for example ?

I find the video chat of gtalk to be very buggy overall... in all clients
I can confirm that the N900 can accept GTalk video calls including incoming video quite happily. Tested this with an N800 (speculatrix) calling my N900 over cellular and the N900 received the incoming video stream fine. It was only when I tried to send video stream back that the whole thing went pear-shaped.

The audio was choppy but that might have been the cellular connection rather than the codec.

Video prior to London Meetup of N800 to N810: http://qik.com/video/3588735

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-12-03 at 16:01. Reason: Added link to Video Footage of similar...

Will br trying an experiment on this with Speculatrix later. Will try to use the Windows and Linux clients to check if any difference. Unfortunately neither of us uses a Mac so can't test that platform. Results will be posted when I have them for sure.