Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Beta release - BRAVE TESTERS WANTED!

Conky is a strong and powerful tool to watch what is going on on your system. Sadly, it is able to do a lot more than you could display at your small screen at the same time.

But now comes Conky Layout Switcher

This Application makes it possible to switch your Conky status Monitor fast and live between 4 Layouts - depending of your current use case (general, system load, Network Traffic and Disk usage)

It is made up of 3 parts:
  • Statusbar Applet
  • Configuration Application

• The Layouts (still in a draft state - will finish later)

Layout 1 - generic

Layout 2 - CPU

Layout 3 - Network

Layout 4 - Disk usage

The 2 columns Layout Idea is based on a Layout by GaRy delaMer. Thanks a lot!

You have to enable Conky Layout Switcher first using the Setup Application. If you disable the application later your default Conky Config file is used again. (Warning: If your currently using the outdated Version 1.6.1 from conky your layout gets updated to the new one from Version 1.9.6 !) Don't forget to disable Conky Layout Switcher if you want to uninstall it. (I hope you wouldn't)

If you want to create your own Layouts that interacts with Conky Layout Switcher put your own Layouts simply at /home/user/MyDocs/ as before. Simply Name the file conkyLS.conf
Have a look at /etc/conky/conkyLS.conf how it works!

Known Issues, small drawbacks and bugs:
  • [FIXED] somewhere is a ${endif} clause missing - this slows down conky a lot - I have to find it soon...
  • [IMPROVED] currently very resource hungry (perhaps you shouldn't keep conky open)
  • [OPTION ADDED] I have to draw all graphs in each layout to keep them updated and synchronous while not shown
  • You have to deactivate Conky Layout Switcher before uninstalling - otherwiese you must simply reinstall Conky

Please note: This Application will install Conky-N900 and ttf-droid to your N900 if not already installed. But it won't touch your current *.conf files (I hope) so nothing will break. But creating a small Backup is never a bad idea.

If you are brave enough you can find this small application currently at extra devel or download it at the package page: Conky Layout Switcher

UPDATE:
0.0.9 - STRONG system load improvements
The usual warning applies:
The software hosted in extras-devel is not ready for normal users!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't play with it unless you really know what you are doing. Be ready to file proper bug reports instead of posting complaints.
Expected problems: crashes, battery drain, poor system performance, full disk space & more - SERIOUSLY!

Don't play with Extras-devel if you haven't backed up your data or aren't prepared to re-flash your device.
It's the first release of this Application. Perhaps there could be a lot of bugs inside. So please test it only if you know what you're doing or wait what will happen in this Thread. And don't forget to create a backup (just in case). I only want to share my little application. But I hope for a lot of positive feedback!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-04-28 at 19:17.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Ok sorry found out myself theme is already there

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2011-04-22 at 00:14.

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Hello! Mind sharing your conky conf file also? I like it
My intention is to make it as easy to use as possible. So a suitable conf file is already included.

Ok sorry found out myself theme is already there
Exactly. But I'm still fighting with it. I still have a lot of problems... So it is not already polished. But every update should improve the conf automatically.

@helex
A bug report...
It won't run at all you forgot to set execute permissions to /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher

Also all conf files on /etc/conky have *-new on the end so conky still can't find them

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Ok I found alot more so I'll just post this
etc/conky # conky
Conky: Can't load configfile '/home/user/MyDocs/conkyHeadline.conf'.
Conky: Can't load configfile '/etc/conky/conkyHeadline.conf'.
Conky: Can't load configfile '/home/user/MyDocs/conkyKernel.conf'.
Conky: Can't load configfile '/etc/conky/conkyKernel.conf'.
Conky: Can't load configfile '/home/user/MyDocs/conkyNetwork.conf'.
Conky: Can't load configfile '/etc/conky/conkyNetwork.conf'.
Conky: desktop window (1a03a6f) is subwindow of root window (44)
Conky: drawing to desktop window
Conky: drawing to single buffer
Conky: can't load font '6x10'
^CConky: received SIGINT or SIGTERM to terminate. bye!
/etc/conky # ls
conky.conf conkyL3.conf.dpkg-new
conkyHeadline.conf.dpkg-new conkyL4.conf.dpkg-new
conkyKernel.conf.dpkg-new conkyLS.conf.dpkg-new
conkyL1.conf.dpkg-new conkyNetwork.conf.dpkg-new
conkyL2.conf.dpkg-new conky_no_x11.conf
/etc/conky # /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher
Maemo applications must be run with the run-standalone.sh script!
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Cannot open file '/etc/conky/conkylayoutswitcher.svg', because: No such file or directory
Cannot open file '/etc/conky/conkylayoutswitcher.svg', because: No such file or directory
1Writing File ConkyLS.enabledWriting File uintervalWriting File conkyUpdateInterval.inclWriting File conkyUpdateTime.inclWriting File LS conky LS
/etc/conky #

@helex
A bug report...
It won't run at all you forgot to set execute permissions to /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher

Also all conf files on /etc/conky have *-new on the end so conky still can't find them
Yes, sometimes I realized strange *.dpkg-new and *.dpkg-old files in /etc/conky - I thought this is because I edited the files manually on my device and dpkg thought it should keep the previous version because of the difference. Strange that you have the same issue?!

But /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher should have execute permissions. I had no problems so far. I have this line in my postinstall script:
Code:
chmod 755 /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher
Were there other errors during the installation?

I haven't tried v0.0.7-2 since I already left home. But What I have posted up there are all the problems I encountered so far on 0.0.6-2 I manually fixed all those problems listed and seems like conkylayoutswitcher worked already

What version have you installed?

I uploaded a new version (0.0.7-2) with a small preinstall script to prepare /etc/conky
I hope this could help.

But nothing changed regarding /opt/usr/bin/ConkyLayoutSwitcher

Edit:
Ah, okay. Sorry. I guess I'm writing to slow.

v0.0.7-2 has some changes in the preinstall and postinstall script. And the config files are included. ConkyLayoutSwitcher wrote those itself before. Hope this could help...

Thanks for your feedback so far!

Last edited by helex; 2011-04-22 at 01:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
I must say that this is a great app! I really liked it.

A small request: any chance to make the app detect eth0 as a network connection? I'm using a USB network adapter as my primary connection to the internet and it tells me that there are no network connections.

The Following User Says Thank You to drucula For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drucula View Post
I must say that this is a great app! I really liked it.
Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by drucula View Post
A small request: any chance to make the app detect eth0 as a network connection? I'm using a USB network adapter as my primary connection to the internet and it tells me that there are no network connections.
Hmm... I haven't thought about this possibility. And I'm unable to test and debug it.

Perhaps you could modify it yourself in the file /etc/conky/conkyNetwork.conf (but the next update will overwrite your changes again!)

I'm planing to reconstruct several parts of the Network config. (but trying to keep the layout) I will look how this could work with eth0. But I need a brave tester until it is well-engineered.