Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Good morning everyone. I have been a rather long user of Nokia's tablets (770, N800 and N810), and obviously I am considering the N900. But I have a few questions to which I have not found an answer.

If I get the N900, it will have to replace the present N810, but also my Symbian phone. But frankly, I just want a device that works and allows me to do the same as what I am doing now.

Communications
-is google talk video call supported between a N900 and a N800/N810?
-is google talk video call supported between a N900 and anything else (like the google talk gadget, for example)?
-is skype video planned?

Calendar, etc...
-how good are the calendar and contacts?
-the lack of an isync plugin was a deal breaker for me, but apparently one is in the works (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2793#c17)? Anyone knows whether it will sync calendars and contacts or just one of the two? Bugzilla only mentions contacts, I need calendar.

Tethering, etc…
-can you tether a computer via bluetooth?
-I use joykuspot on my symbian phone. This turns the phone into a wifi access point to use the UMTS internet from other computers. Theoretically, this is trivial to implement in linux. Does something similar already exist?

Mapping/GPS
-does the GPS get a fix faster than on the N810 without using the A-GPS function
-do you have to pay for ovi maps turn by turn instructions in europe? Nokia just says "check your device to see whether it is pre-installed".
-does maemo mapper work on the N900?

General:
-I understand that some N810 application work on the N900 and some don't, is that correct? Or is it like os2008 where none of the previous soft worked…?
-is there some software to display word documents (note: I use abiword on the N810, this is the level of usability I am prepared to live with…)
-is there some kind of java support planned, even the reduced java found on mobile phones?
-does "password safe" work on the N900?
-does gnumeric or something similar work on the N900?

Not many answers here. No-one even tried google talk video between the N900 and N810 (first question)?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
sorry at work - i can aswer a few later - will try to remember to pop back on when i get home
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

To date the front facing camera on the N900 does not have completed drivers, so no video calling possible,

Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
To date the front facing camera on the N900 does not have completed drivers, so no video calling possible,
Uh... no. Works in google talk, actually. Even with the first shipping rom. It's just /dev/video1 (vs /dev/video0 for the back camera)

I've done google chat between an n900 and a desktop linux box, and a windows box, seems to work fine (although not terribly well streaming video over 2G/3G)

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
When asking big set of questions like this, numbering them makes them easier for people to repond...

Note that I've been more concerned with getitng functionality than staying in the strictly safe Extras repository, so some of these are from the Extras-Testing and -devel repositories.
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Tethering, etc…
-can you tether a computer via bluetooth?
-I use joykuspot on my symbian phone. This turns the phone into a wifi access point to use the UMTS internet from other computers. Theoretically, this is trivial to implement in linux. Does something similar already exist?
Bluetooth tethering for one device at a time is available via the bluetooth-dun package. Works well for me.

JoikuSpot is trickier as the kernel has been compiled without routing support. A custom kernel has been compiled and tested by multiple people, but it's not packaged nicely yet. Try googling with "site:maemo.org custom kernel wifi package install", you're likely to find the main thread where this has been discussed.

If you add the two of these together, we may get bluetooth-pan-router before too long. Think joikuspot, but using the lower power Bluetooth protocol and thus less battery.

Mapping/GPS
-does the GPS get a fix faster than on the N810 without using the A-GPS function
-do you have to pay for ovi maps turn by turn instructions in europe? Nokia just says "check your device to see whether it is pre-installed".
-does maemo mapper work on the N900?
Faster fix: Unknown, there seem to be some bugs in how it's *currently* behaving in these circumstances. Try googling with "site:maemo.org wifi a-gps agps lock without connection satellites". There is very active work on this, and luckily my browser history still has the URL: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337. Given the intensity of focus, I expect it will get sorted out shortly.

OviMap -- Don't know. I like MaemoMapper much better, and routing has been added using Gnuite.com as a routing engine. I just downloaded my first route, and it's sensible, but I haven't tried using it for driving...

MaemoMapper -- yes, with the caveat that the +/- hardware key seems to be grabbed for volume a lot of the time, so zooming is currently a pain.

General:
-I understand that some N810 application work on the N900 and some don't, is that correct? Or is it like os2008 where none of the previous soft worked…?
-is there some software to display word documents (note: I use abiword on the N810, this is the level of usability I am prepared to live with…)
-does "password safe" work on the N900?
N810 apps on N900 -- Given the instructions I see on this forum, a number of N810 apps run fine.

Word Docs -- I'd suspect that your AbiWord N810 package will run. If you don't want to just try it on a new N900 during a trial period (Check if your purchasing point gives you right of return for a period.), you could install it into a VM. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...084#post454084

PWSafe - yes, it works.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Regarding Ovi maps, there is currently no turn by turn in the maemo version. No one yet seems sure if it is planned either, but Sygic will release navigation software with this feature next week.

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
When asking big set of questions like this, numbering them makes them easier for people to repond...
Sorry. I will do better next time.

JoikuSpot is trickier as the kernel has been compiled without routing support.
Rats.

A custom kernel has been compiled and tested by multiple people, but it's not packaged nicely yet. Try googling with "site:maemo.org custom kernel wifi package install", you're likely to find the main thread where this has been discussed.

If you add the two of these together, we may get bluetooth-pan-router before too long. Think joikuspot, but using the lower power Bluetooth protocol and thus less battery.
But that would make up for it...

Faster fix: Unknown, there seem to be some bugs in how it's *currently* behaving in these circumstances. Try googling with "site:maemo.org wifi a-gps agps lock without connection satellites". There is very active work on this, and luckily my browser history still has the URL: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337. Given the intensity of focus, I expect it will get sorted out shortly.
Good. I also saw that the chipset is different than the one on the N810.

MaemoMapper -- yes, with the caveat that the +/- hardware key seems to be grabbed for volume a lot of the time, so zooming is currently a pain.
Still: good news.

N810 apps on N900 -- Given the instructions I see on this forum, a number of N810 apps run fine.
Good.

Word Docs -- I'd suspect that your AbiWord N810 package will run.
OK. In the mean time, I found out that Koffice appears to be in the works.

PWSafe - yes, it works
Good.

Thanks a lot for the answers. Still: I think that the N900 is not quite ready for prime time yet. Maybe in two or three months.

The silly part with the N900 is that it needs a sim card. With the N800, I could buy it and run it along the 770 until it was working properly. WIth the N810, I could keep the N800 in parallel as well.

But the N900 needs a sim card, and I have only one. So it needs to replace my phone (which does more internet access and calendars than phoning actually), and be decent at it. The only other way would be to get another sim and thus another contract, and I don't want that.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The N900 doesn't need a SIM card.

you dont need sim card to use the n900