Can it be that it is impossible to schedule a recurring event every other week? I have looked everywhere and this doesn't seem to be possible, which is a severe disappointment

Am I missing something? Does someone have a workaround short of entering each appointment individually??

Thanks,
pfoh

The Following User Says Thank You to pfoh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by pfoh View Post
Can it be that it is impossible to schedule a recurring event every other week? I have looked everywhere and this doesn't seem to be possible, which is a severe disappointment
I don't think so. I have a number of events just like that, and the N900 shows "Complex repeat. Unable to edit" in the even details and on the "Repeat" button when editing..

I'm not sure what's so 'complex' about a bi-weekly event, but it's clear the device doesn't know what to make of such a crazy schedule

Am I missing something? Does someone have a workaround short of entering each appointment individually??

Thanks,
pfoh
I got mine into the calendar by creating them in iCal and syncing with the N900. You might try a similar arrangement for whatever works with your setup..

Last edited by Bingley Joe; 2010-01-26 at 19:04.

Thanks I guess that will have to suffice for now, though it is pretty ridiculous that I need to do this for some appointments. I sure hope this gets remedied soon.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
It seems the calendar is able to display "complex" recurring schedules, but there are no editing tools for that. I would like to see them.

I was able to create a bi-weekly recurrence by using the sqlite console:

Code:
sqlite3 /home/user/.calendar/calendardb
Warning: Remember you can screw up your calendar database using the sqlite console, so you probably want to take a backup before editing it. And close the calendar app before editing to avoid you both accessing the db at the same time.

The table called "Components" contains the calendar events. Notice the first column which contains the id of the event you want to have a complex recurrence.

There's also a table called "RECURSIVE" which contains the recurrence rules for the events. They seem to be standard iCalendar syntax in column "rrule".

Get your event's recurrence rule:

Code:
select * from RECURSIVE where id=123;
I just changed my event to have a bi-weekly interval:

Code:
update RECURSIVE set rrule='FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=2;UNTIL=20101231T160000!' where id=123;
And that's it. Calendar shows my event now recurring every other week.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kortsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Hi Kortsi

Would you care to take a look at this brainstorm?

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...endar_in_n900/

If you could do something by way of packaging the ability to change the repeat options, it would solve a big chunk of that (I think the improving repeat function got about 50 votes last time I looked)

That would be seriously brilliant.

If not, can you 'splain in in the sorts of words that a bear of very little brain could understand: a work-around is a good place to start.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Hi Kortsi

Would you care to take a look at this brainstorm?

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...endar_in_n900/

If you could do something by way of packaging the ability to change the repeat options, it would solve a big chunk of that (I think the improving repeat function got about 50 votes last time I looked)

That would be seriously brilliant.

If not, can you 'splain in in the sorts of words that a bear of very little brain could understand: a work-around is a good place to start.

Thanks in advance.
Sure, I'll take a look at it later, when I get back from work.

The Following User Says Thank You to kortsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by kortsi View Post
It seems the calendar is able to display "complex" recurring schedules, but there are no editing tools for that. I would like to see them.

I was able to create a bi-weekly recurrence by using the sqlite console:

Code:
sqlite3 /home/user/.calendar/calendardb
Warning: Remember you can screw up your calendar database using the sqlite console, so you probably want to take a backup before editing it. And close the calendar app before editing to avoid you both accessing the db at the same time.

The table called "Components" contains the calendar events. Notice the first column which contains the id of the event you want to have a complex recurrence.

There's also a table called "RECURSIVE" which contains the recurrence rules for the events. They seem to be standard iCalendar syntax in column "rrule".

Get your event's recurrence rule:

Code:
select * from RECURSIVE where id=123;
I just changed my event to have a bi-weekly interval:
I do not return anything.

I confirm that I have a weekly recurring event.

edit: thanks for the temporary workaround, kortsi

I created an enhancement bug report. As I understand it the calendar is closed source, so we must wait for an official release. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case, please vote on this bug if you find it as annoying as I do: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8569

Last edited by pfoh; 2010-01-27 at 11:41.

the bug that I reported was marked as a duplicate of a bug which was marked resolved due to the fact that this issue is a "feature request" rather than an enhancement according to the assigned party. Personally I disagree with this, but he recommended starting a brainstorm, which has already been done multiple times.

I have two questions, are these brainstorm ideas generally acted upon in a timely manner? or is this effectively a way of saying f*** off?

And my second question, is the calendar app open source? is the calendar source included in the maemo source? it seems that with the backend being so straight forward, this isn't a monster task.

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
I do not return anything.

I confirm that I have a weekly recurring event.
He had a data corruption problem and is solved.