Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hey!

I can't try this right now as my brother is borrowing my n800 but are you able to use VNC to connect to a Windows Vista OS?

If anyone has done this could they take some screenshots if they are able to with the screenshot app or just take a pic of the screen on a digital camera.

If it does work, im egar to see what the performance is like. Would it make a difference whether your using VNC to view OSX, XP or Vista or is it going to be the same result.

I have mine set to access an OS X machine. The problem is that when the screen saver is on I am unable to put in my password. I'm not leaving my screensaver off so this problem really limits the usefullness of the app for me.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
has the rdesktop client been built for maemo yet? it generally gives better results because the rdesktop server in windows knows a lot more about what's on the display; you need to enable it in winXP using right-mouse on My Computer->properties/remote tab.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
rdesktop works on N800 and is available in app manager (not sure of the required repository though).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thanks, I'll try that out soon.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
the good thing about rdesktop is that you can specify the colour depth and resolution you want, and the windows box will generate the required desktop for you (if it can) or something close; note that there's no sharing of the desktop when connecting to XP pro, it will lock the physical screen with a login prompt; whereas with vnc you can share the desktop with the person sitting at the computer, or even have multiple people trying to use vnc server at same time!