Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ San Diego, CA USA
Hi all, first post here. I thought I'd kick things off by sharing why I decided to purchase the N900.

Form Factor
It fits in my pocket, which makes it always handy. There are many situations where carrying and starting up a laptop, even the size of a netbook, is inconvenient.

Web Browsing
Runs Firefox Mobile, which by all accounts provides the best web browsing experience of all pocket devices.

Tethering
I currently use an embedded 3G chip in my laptop to access the internet when I am away from other networking options. I'll be saving $20 a month by switching over to T-Mobile's $40 internet only plan.

I have read about a lot of hand-wringing over Meego and what it will bring, but I am not terribly worried that it may never reach the N900. After all, I don't know what Meego really means to me yet. I have a Blackberry Curve that I will continue to use for voice calls. The camera, Ovi maps, etc. are all "nice to have", but not critical. However, I do expect all features to perform as advertised. I understand that it is a new device, and some bugs must still be worked out.

Anyway, it arrives in about a week, and I am very excited.

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by isocoma View Post
Hi all, first post here. I thought I'd kick things off by sharing why I decided to purchase the N900.

Form Factor
It fits in my pocket, which makes it always handy. There are many situations where carrying and starting up a laptop, even the size of a netbook, is inconvenient.

Web Browsing
Runs Firefox Mobile, which by all accounts provides the best web browsing experience of all pocket devices.

Tethering
I currently use an embedded 3G chip in my laptop to access the internet when I am away from other networking options. I'll be saving $20 a month by switching over to T-Mobile's $40 internet only plan.

I have read about a lot of hand-wringing over Meego and what it will bring, but I am not terribly worried that it may never reach the N900. After all, I don't know what Meego really means to me yet. I have a Blackberry Curve that I will continue to use for voice calls. The camera, Ovi maps, etc. are all "nice to have", but not critical. However, I do expect all features to perform as advertised. I understand that it is a new device, and some bugs must still be worked out.

Anyway, it arrives in about a week, and I am very excited.

Good Luck. I think you will LOVEEEEE IT!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
One important thing buddy, is to stay away from Extra-Devel just a friendly warning. If you don't listen you'll come back and crying for help later

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
everyone is welcome here.. if you need help,all of us is here to help you out.. you'll surely love ur new phone.... maxximuscool is right.. if u dont know the risk of devel. don't try to test it.. =]

and when it arrives... go and play bounce then tell me your score.. =P

The Following User Says Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:
Welcome! I've had the phone on my desk for a while (still waiting on a SIM card), and it's been working very well! The Extras repository will be something worth enabling and browsing!

The Following User Says Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Hi and welcome!

The native browser is a load better than mobile firefox in it's current condition. 1.0.0 just an FYI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
I ordered mine as well on the 12th of February, for pretty much the same reasons as above, but am still waiting, seem to be pretty much all sold out in Germany. Got it for Euro 29 + new phone contract with monthly costs of Euro 17......am avidly waiting for news on the delivery date, got the feeling though that my kids are going to take it right of me for Bounce ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to handpicked For This Useful Post:
i got it less than a week ago too. i use it instead of my macbook when i just want too browse! (like now!) i was going to get the htc desire, but damn, the keyboard is superb! never used a hardware qwerty before, and it would be hard to go back i think!

as for the meego situation, i'm not too worried either, im sure the community will port it if nokia doesnt! if not m5 with qt will be great!

enjoy it!

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I just ordered mine from Amazon, and should be in my greasy hands before monday!

Took me a while to decide, but finally I jumped head first (Mainly because of all the marvels I read in this forum).

I hope I keep it for at least two years, like my faithful N95 8GB.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to cjsegninir For This Useful Post:
all you new owners are going to love the n900! once you download the applications of your choice and customise the phone to your liking, it will pretty much be a mobile computer in your pocket.

a month on, it's probably the best money i've spent on a phone. listening to podcasts, streaming internet video, full capability web browsing, always on IM, great qwerty physical keyboard, tv-out capability - i doubt there's anything quite like it at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post: