Active Topics

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Hey guys,
Just bought the N900 two days ago.
I had an idea, since the battery life is nothing special on this device, maybe I can leave it on charge all the time I am at home. But when i did that I noticed that after full charge the phone waited for battery to drop below 95% and started charging again, so my theory is that it only can work from battery power and can not keep battery at 100% while using micro usb a power source. Am I correct? So every time it's 95%, starts to charge is begins a new cycle, as I know battery capacity drops after each cycle, so will I ruin my brand new N900 battery life when keeping on charge?
Thanks for you replies.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...n_battery_life :

* Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted below their minimum voltage (2.4 to 2.8 V/cell, depending on chemistry). If a lithium-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk that the charge will drop below the low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverable dead battery.[77] Usually this does not instantly damage the battery itself but a charger or device which uses that battery will refuse to charge a dead battery. The battery appears to be dead or not existent because the protection circuit disables further discharging and there is zero voltage on the battery terminals.[77]

* Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool. They may be stored in a refrigerator.[77]
* Lithium-ion batteries degrade much faster if stored in high-temperature areas.[77]
in german it's described in another way:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...Li-Ionen-Akkus

Es ist empfehlenswert, Li-Ionen-Akkus „flach“ zu zyklen, wodurch sich deren Lebensdauer verlängert. Das Entladen unter 51 % sollte vermieden werden, da es bei „tiefen Zyklen“ zu größeren Kapazitätsverlusten aufgrund irreversibler Reaktionen in den Elektroden kommen kann. Der Akku altert schneller, je höher seine Zellenspannung ist, daher ist es zu vermeiden, einen Li-Ion-Akku ständig 100 % geladen zu halten.
in short:
"flat" cycles are recommended.
don't drop below 51%.
don't keep it constantly at 100%.
store cool.
(so keeping it between 60 and 80% percent of charge would be the optimum)

Ok, ill keep the question short then.
WILL THIS SHORTEN MY BATTERY LIFE?

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by esthreel View Post
Ok, ill keep the question short then.
WILL THIS SHORTEN MY BATTERY LIFE?
i will keep the answer short:

NO.

(the charger is doing his job correctly ^^
but you can extend it, by disconnecting it when it's fully charged and recharge it when it's shortly over 51% percent
as i said... keeping it between 60% and 80% would be perfect for the lifetime of your battery)

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
i will keep the answer short:

NO.

(the charger is doing his job correctly ^^
but you can extend it, by disconnecting it when it's fully charged and recharge it when it's shortly over 51% percent
as i said... keeping it between 60% and 80% would be perfect for the lifetime of your battery)
Thank you b666m

Trickle charging the battery to maintain 100% constantly would be bad. The charger is doing the right thing.