Active Topics

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Listen to Twit episode #241 around 22:48 to find out what Leo Laporte says about the N900 as compared to the iPhone and Nexus One. Keep in mind, he has PAID for all of these devices before he reviews them.

He also has a separate podcast on Open Source so he understands it as well.

He has his own opinions, but unlike ANY OF US, is paying for ALL of these devices to have the platform to speak about them without being in anybody's pocket.

Also, I am probably going to buy my first ever Apple product in the next few weeks. (In the past, I have been strictly a Windows user and have had 5 different PCs). It will be an iPad. I am also going to convert on of the PCs to Ubuntu next month once the latest version comes out.

My point is, I had the same passion that most of you have about Maemo but mine was about Palm. Palm is dead and there is something better for the majority of the tasks which is Maemo 2008.

I will also be keeping and continuing to use my N810 as well as my Android phone as they serve different functions for me. The only reason I ever got my N810 was because I got it on Ebay for $150. I would NEVER pay $500 plus for the N900 as a phone simply because it is SIM based and I am a Sprint user.

Finally, I have learned to finally go with what works as opposed to what I hope will work after they get my money. I learned this in media software, PC hardware and others.

So before you give me the line about the iPad missing Flash, I can only say one thing; HTML5 and H.264. Twelve months from now, Flash video won't be an issue. Why, because the Pros use Mac based products (QT) to create content. The major players in content creation have already started to go back and re-encode their content (if necessary) to H.264 mpeg-4.

Sorry, but this is my opinion and I for one am sick of hobbling along with tech gear I pay good money for but can't get it to work and as a consequence, spend the majority of my time having to find work arounds for all of this shi*!

I expect one of two things will happen with this post:

1 no one will respond

2 it will start a flame war

We'll see!

The Following User Says Thank You to coosbaytv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I can't listen to all that..what was the verdict?

unlike many here, I respect your ability to 'love them all', but I have to say, I think Leo Laporte is an a-s-s hat.

he said woot.com was garbage
and that blue ray is awesome

i guess it doesn't matter. i still listen to him on the radio anyways. lol.

any tech talk on the radio is better than no tech talk I guess.

He said he wished he hadn't bought it and was very disappointed!

He was an iPhone 3GS user before and has recently moved to the Nexus One which is now his favorite phone ever!

Thank you for trying to intentionally start a flamewar. The exit is that way, I suggest you make for it post haste.

Leo Laporte Yeah, I bought one and I regret it.
Unfortunately for Leo, he bought it thinking it was an uberpolished cellphone. Like many of the people who sell theirs (or worse, whine here like small children then sell theirs,) they didn't bother to look at where it came from.

Leo Laporte Yeah, it’s not. I mean it’s nowhere near the Nexus One. I bought it because I wanted to have what I thought were going to be the top three smartphones, an iPhone, Nexus One, and N900.
I don't think Nokia ever intended for it to compete like that. There's a reason the N97 has an 800x480 screen, and far better phone features than the N900. And outside the US, the N97 has sold quite well, apparently.

The Maemo operating system is not well – the edges have not [ph] been rounded (23:28).
No, they haven't been rounded. But considering it was essentially an internet tablet OS with a phone application, I think his expectations were misplaced.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
1 no one will respond

2 it will start a flame war

We'll see!
By the way, option 2. would be lot less likely with less confrontational ending. With that ending it seems like you came looking for a fight.

ok Roger, you yourself said you listen anyway...

My point is the guy knows what he is talking about as far as usability is concerned.

FWIW, I am not a Blue Ray backer either!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I can't listen to all that..what was the verdict?
You can jump to 21:00 and listen to what they say about n900. They say it sucks. They have no idea what they are talking about. :-)

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
At least say at what point of the 80+ minute long webcast the N900 bit is.

By the way, option 2. would be lot less likely with less confrontational ending. With that ending it seems like you came looking for a fight.
At 22:48 as stated in post.

Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
My point is the guy knows what he is talking about as far as usability is concerned.
He has his opinion. Doesn't make anyone who likes the device wrong.

Though for people who seem to hate the N900 and Nokia, it does.