Active Topics

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
After building my own toolchain ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50693 ) I started looking for something to code. After getting really frustrated by having to click 9 times to change the power management of a wifi connection, I set out to create a simple tool to make this easier. That turned into WiFiController.

This is an application that I'd like, so it's created with my needs in mind. I do some sysadmin things at work, so to be able to actually collect data about the wifi environment is interesting.

So, this thread is created to see if anyone would be interested in actually using this in a packaged form. As of now, it works just fine on my N900 so I'm sure it'll work on your N900 too.

Feaures:
Easy to change settings of the wifi-module.
Collects data about your current SSID/wifi connection in a friendly format.
Small and CPU friendly.

Problems:
Some daemon or other re-sets the power management setting of the wifi module even though I have changed the gconf entry.
Almost no error handling.

Needs:
An icon that fits the Maemo background.

Installation is easy: just download the tar.gz file, unpack it, look in the install.sh script to see what it does, run it on your device and place the binary somewhere in your PATH. I'd suggest /sbin since root bits are nice while running the program.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a UI designer. I write server code for a living and just want these pointyclicky things to work.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: gz wificontroller.tar.gz (7.5 KB, 117 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Quick update to fix a glaring problem with connections that lack a saved setting for power management. The system treats them as being set to "On", so I do the same.

Slight change to how Update works too.

Installation as before.
Attached Files
File Type: gz wificontroller.tar.gz (7.7 KB, 59 views)

Wow this looks really cool, im a bi too much of a noob to install it just yet, but ill be happy to test as soon as it hits the repo's.

The Following User Says Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
Wow this looks really cool, im a bi too much of a noob to install it just yet, but ill be happy to test as soon as it hits the repo's.
Than I'll just have to take the time to learn how Debian packages work.