Greetings.

I'm currently trying to install a debian package (libfprint) on scratchbox (diablo) and I can't proceed the "make" step. These are the current errors:

Code:
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fopenmp"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fgnu89-inline"
I've read around the web these flags didn't exist in on gcc < 4.2, but I've noticed there's gcc 4.2 avaliable for fremantle. Is there any chance that it would work on diablo? I've been looking for a workaround on this issue but without any success. If you have any suggestions please feel free to add.

Thanks for your time.

Just a warning. I installed many packages from the diablo sdk repository without problem until a few days ago I tried to install autoconf, which I think is part of core-utils. That was a huge mistake ! apt-get removed a ton of stuff including busy-box, the connection manager and a lot of other stuff.
So my advice to you, clone a backup before trying.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
First thing to try is removing those flags from the makefile and try the build again.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies. I've followed your advice maacruz and it worked! At least I could finish the 'make install' step with only a bit more struggle.

Finally, I'm trying to use libfprint on diablo and this is what I get when I try one of the example codes:

This program will enroll your right index finger, unconditionally overwriting any right-index print that was enrolled previously. If you want to continue, press enter, otherwise hit Ctrl+C

Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0x40085511
Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xc00c5512
Found device claimed by Digital Persona U.are.U 4000/4000B driver
Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0x8004550f
uru4000:error [dev_init] interface claim failed
fp:error [fp_dev_open] device initialisation failed, driver=uru4000
Could not open device.
It detects my fingerprint reader device (this is good) but it is not being able to use it. I've been googling about what could be this issue, but I can't see anyone mentioning the "unsupported ioctl". I've read about a possibly solution for the "interface claim failed", but I've already tried it and it didn't work as well. According to them:

You have to add yourself to the plugdev group and then change the permissions of the usb folder to allow access to the plugdev group.
I've already did it (or at least I think I did), but it didn't work. I've also found a few references to ioctl on maemo forums, but they're vague and none could provide enough information. I only know what ioctl means, but really have no idea how to proceed now.

I recognize I've changed the subject of this thread, so I'm wondering if I should have created another one, or if it's ok if I keep discussion on this one.

Is there any of you here who had similar problems with ioctl like that or already tried to use libfprint on diablo? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

IOCTLs are provided by the kernel, so I think this is a kernel issue; the device driver should provide those, but it doesn't.
You could try recompiling the device driver kernel module in diablo.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Thanks, maacruz. I've also sent this question to libfprint mailing list and I've got this:
My guess is that your USB stack (therefore kernel), are too old.
So I think you're right. Honestly I have no idea about how to do what you've suggested, but I've been searching for articles related to recompiling kernel and bookmarking them to digest later. Could you give me any hints or links that could help a newbie like me complete such task?

PS: I have found a link which could be useful, but I'll give a further read later: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34901

That is a really good thread on the subject.
If the problem is in the usb stack and not in your device's driver, then it could require backporting the usb stack from a recent kernel, and that can be really difficult.
For gaining experience with kernel recompilng, it is better if you start with your PC's distro; it is relatively easy to brick the N8x0 by making a mistake (fortunately solvable by reflashing).
As an alternative, you could first start by trying a Meego kernel already built for the device, may be you are lucky and everything you need works.

Today I was hanging around on #maemo (irc.freenode.org) and apparently got the answer that can solve my issue:

<rafaelbrandao> I've got this while running a lib here: "Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0x40085511" any ideas?
<jacekowski> rafaelbrandao: run it on normal platform
<jacekowski> rafaelbrandao: not in scratchbox
<rafaelbrandao> seriously??
<jacekowski> rafaelbrandao: qemu can't emulate that ioctl
I'll report back as soon as I get it working on my real device. Many thanks!

It has been a little while, and I've managed to test it on the real device, but when I ran it on my tablet, it displays the following error:

uru4000:error [dev_init] interface claim failed
fp:error [fp_dev_open] device initialisation failed, driver=uru4000
Note this time I don't have any ioctl error. But according to this article:
The one problem I ran into when using fprint was that I could not run fprint_demo without sudo.
The problem is, I'm already sudo! I've tried it through "sudo gainroot" and through ssh, but both failed. I'm running out of ideas. Do you have any to suggest?

If you are sure you are root (sudo bash is my favourite) then it can't be a permission problem. Try dmesg to see if the kernel has anything to say.