Active Topics

Hi
Iv been watching the n900 for a long time now and being a n800 user I kno wat I'm letting my self in for lol,
But my problem is I'm really picky about phones not becuase I want the best just summit that will last a long time.
So I have a few questions well really things I want from a phone and miby you lot can give a honest answer or yer views please.
Music I'm a metal head ha iv used a Nokia e63 wich was Oki but nothing fancy also had a iPhone hated itunes but sound quality was good...does the n900 have good music play back will it replace my ipod shuffle?

Internet I don't own any form of computer, but I do use my phone a lot for internet mostly gmail,msn,Facebook,forums and online shopping and YouTube...how's the web browser on the n900...I'm currently using my gf HTC hero with 1.6 android locked to 3 its Oki but has alot bugs from freezing to 1 minute not reconising a utube vid than all of a sudden playing it,

Build quilty/screen, one thing I'm really put of the n900 is the slider part is it wobbly or very sturdy is the screen responsive I like the n800 but I hated the 5800

One last thing is there any or gonna be some sort of word document editor....hooking the n900 to a tv and using a keyboard sounds perfect Oki I kno its not a pc but its better than nothing

And just incase why some one ask why I'm not gona buy a pc I'm unemployed due to a serouse illness so I couldn't keep up the payments of £40 a month for broadband and plus £200 plus for a pc.....I do own a mifi pay as you go WiFi dongle and my phone sim card I get 1gb of data every month.
The n900 I'm getting as bday present from my gf and my mum and dad
Only others phone I have my eye on is a dell streak, since u can hook up a bt keyboard

I apologise for my spelling and grammer and thanks for any help or info ps I'm still using my n800 lol

The Following User Says Thank You to cyberboy109 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
to make it short, the n900 is a great device IMHO.

but even though how many pros and cons you read or hear from other users, the answer on your question is still in you.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I actually think the N900 would be right up your street, I use it for Music all the time, the audio quality is good. Some people complain of the occasional stutter but mine's been fine. Build quality is excellent, though there is a few people that complain of the USB port becoming loose. Personally, if I were you, I'd go into the carphone werehouse and hold it yourself, play with it a little. It's so much faster than the N800 you'll love it. Also, we have abiword and a koffice based editor also, and for a price you can get the premium documents to go from Ovi which has word and excel editing also.

Cheers....I used to take my n800 out and about to local bmx comps to upload pics to the web but lack of keyboard it got a bit annoying, but still easer than a netbook...netbooks are bloody annoying I have large hands so the mouse on netbooks I found uncomfortable....plus I need a new phone since my old Nokia its out dated and isn't keeping a full charge so may as kill 2 birds with one stone phone and mini laptop in 1

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you're used to the N800 you should do well with the N900. It will do what you want and more. You can use it very cheaply with a prepaid Tmobile plan in the US -- I'm not sure which plans are available elsewhere.

But mainly, you will have a lot of fun, and that's what's important.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
But my problem is I'm really picky about phones not becuase I want the best just summit that will last a long time.
Make sure you follow the filing tips in this thread or you might not have a phone that lasts even a year:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...&highlight=usb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
hi fellow metal-head cyberboy109!

1. Is the sound quality good enough to replace your ipod?

I'd say yes, but part of that answer is because I find the ipod to have a horrific sound quality. I own a Zen Touch, from 2004, built by Creative. And although the sound is much better on my Creative, combining the N900 with my Sennheiser HD202, the result is reasonable enough to get through the daily travels. Don't expect too much of the N900 headphones that come with the machine, though... And if I really want to listen to music with a good sound quality, at night on the roof-terrace, laying on my back with a joint, yes, I do switch back to my Zen Touch

2. How's the webbrowser?

Although it can at times be a bit slow, I find browserd, the standard browser to be impressive. Things just work and they do it well.

3. The slider quality, how is it?

Good. Never had a problem with it.

4. Responsiveness of the screen, you ask?

I don't know the other devices you've owned but have had a go with Iphones and Ipods from friends. Compared to those I have always been happy with my touch screen.

5. Document editing?

Leafpad is a sweet lightweight text editor that carries nothing fancy like spelling and such, but works well. Personally I never use spell checks anyway. I don't think it will support any Microsoft products though. Expect txt and rtf at max.

6. The N900 can be hooked up with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, if that's what you're looking for. Personally I simply forward my X with SSH to my laptop to avoid typing on the small keyboard of the N900. But when I am on the road, I am happy every single time I use that keyboard, just because I have all this connectivity in my pocket.

Last edited by anthonie; 2010-08-06 at 14:57.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
For what you describe, it sounds like the N900 will be your new best friend; there a few cons, that I'll cover in a sec, but for your requirements:

Music:
It is a fantastic device for music, with the onboard 32GB of storage, and the option to expand with an SD card upto 32GB, you wont be short of anything to listen to, with extra codecs you can play most audio files out there, including Flac.
I don't own an iPod but I'm pretty sure they can't play anything other than MP3/AAC.

The default music play is somewhat lacking in features, it does that job though, but there a better replacements out there, made by people from this community

Music playback can sometimes stutter, the only time I have noticed it is when browsing the web: you'll get a split second stutter every now and again, nothing too bad though.

Internet/Web:
The default browser is fast, easy to use and navigate and allows for pretty much a full blown web experience (including Flash 9).
But, you can replace it with others such as Opera.
I've used it the N900 make purchases with ease, and I'm always on forums.

YouTube works alright: it can be a bit fiddly to access the controls (I've only used the desktop version and not the mobile, so can't comment on that side); apart from that I have no issues with YouTube or other similar sites.
However, the N900 only supports Flash 9 right now, so sites which force you to use Flash 10 won't work.
(You can use a 'version faker' but I can't verify for it's effectiveness.)

Facebook and other IM services integrate perfectly, from what I've noticed at least.
You can chat to your online right within the SMS inbox, and all your online contacts are integrated with your normal phone contacts (pretty cool).

Some see the e-mail as the bullet in the head for the phone, I haven't noticed any serious issues though.
I only use gMail and Mail for Exchange, but it has been working ok for me.
When going online I can occasionally get a 'failed to update: invalid address' error but syncing manually and all is well.

Screen & build quality
Not much to say about it, but I love it.
Responsive, bright, vivid, sharp colours, great for watching movies on (if you can handle watching on a small screen).
Some will complain the it is not capacitive like the iPhone, others will see that as a relief (I personally do).

The build quality I'd say it good, no wobbly slider to my knowledge, though when sliding the keyboard in an out in it seems slightly at an angle, but when it's fully open it's perfectly fine.

Document editing:
There's many office programs for the N900, I don't know how productive you can be with a small screen and keyboard, but it's allowed me to do the odd bit of uni work when I'm on the train or lying in bed and can't be bothered to get my netbook out.

You can, with a bit of work and hacking, get external bluetooth keyboards to work.
As it's not an official feature from Nokia, instead work from the community it's not perfect (I have a few punctuation keys that I can't use, but then again I haven't really looked into it).

Other:
There aren't a ton of applications available for the phone, but all the main ones are there (mostly made by the fine developers in this community).

Ovi store lacks in badly in comparison to other other app stores out there, it's been no use to me, but has to others.
The mapping software is bogstandard: no great features, no turn-by-turn voice navigation (yet, at least), but for a bit of extra cash you can use 3rd party software.

Support from Nokia is questionable: you'll see many people and many posts that are unhappy, but for others it's not an issue.

Anyway, In all, it's an expensive device but has a lot but does lack in some minor (and a few major) features.

If you can get your hands on one to play around with few a few hours/days then definitely do it.
Often, you can find them for sale quite cheap 2nd hand on these forums and eBay (though be careful you don't get one of the fake Chinese knockoffs from there).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Also you might want to know that Nokia support for the N900 is terrible. So there are three factors you might want to also consider.

- Am I fine with getting a device that may have no future bugfixes (outside of PR1.3) or updates? The Meego the N900 will be getting is not the same Meego the next Nokia device will have.

- Are you fine with losing .5 inches? The n800 has a 4 inch screen while the N900 has a 3.5 inch screen.

- As someone who came from using a dumbphone (no Internet connection, very basic cheap phone) and the n800. There's a problem with tweaking the N900 messing around with its internals, guts and all. Namely, if something goes wrong when your out and about you may not have a phone anymore until you fix it.

Oh and plugging the N900 into a TV to use it as an office computer doesn't work so well due to the composite video connection's small resolution. But it works fine for games, video files, showing pictures, etc...

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
WOW I cant believe ANY of you guys can recommend him to get a N900 in any good conscience. Either you guys really want him to screw up or you did not read his message clearly.

To the OP - DO NOT GET THE N900. In fact, I do not recommend you get ANY smart phone (except maybe an Apple iPhone which you already have) but this applies most of all to the Nokia N900.

Why ? Because YOU DO NOT OWN A COMPUTER - this means if you install ANY maemo app from a repository (even if it is not in extras) and it bricks your phone or screws something up (yes it can happen), you CANNOT FIX IT because you CANNOT REFLASH it WITHOUT a computer.

This issue applies to smart phones in general BUT most of all to the N900 because it is VERY easy to **** up and even installing a bad app can do it - its no big deal if you can reflash it but you do not have a computer to do this.

If I were you, I will keep your current phone. Instead I would ask your parents for money and get a cheap netbook of some type. This will be much better for your work/internet surfing then the N900 - whilst the N900 does internet decently, it is not a candidate for serious word processing etc of any type.

But the key point is, if you have a N900, you NEED a PC to go with it in case something goes wrong, which CAN easily happen - with great power comes great responsibility haha

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post: