I installed NITdroid on my n900 just out of curiosity and I was amazed of the sound quality using internal speakers. The sound is A LOT softer without ANY distortion what so ever - even on full volume and the volume is about the same. There's also a lot more bass than maemo audio through same speakers.
With headphones it's not such a big of a difference, but still sound like there's less distortion.
So.. I figured out that there's sth wrong with how maemo5 handles the audio data or how it handles the hw responsible for amplifying the signal.
Is this component closed source? Maybe it'd be possible to port some of these from android to maemo?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Czech Republic
IMHO PulseAudio was bad step in Fremantle development. Android use ALSA and it is much much better for mobile devices then PA.

Last edited by Figa; 2010-08-20 at 06:09.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Figa View Post
IMHO PulseAudio was bad step in Fremantle development. Android use ALSA and it is much much better for mobile devices then PA.
Your explanation doesn't make sense IMHO. If I understand it correctly when reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseaudio, PulseAudio itself is but an additonal layer on top of ALSA.
Perhaps Andorid uses ony ALSA without PulseAudio , but the latter gives many advantages in mixing and modifying the audio signals. Of course it can sometimes be a bit heavy for a mobile device - but then, the N900 is a computer And PulseAudio can also be found in the Palm Pre.
Anyway, PulseAudio is the way to go and an important part of the future of Linux.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Czech Republic
Yes you are right. My explanation wasnīt whole. i am sorry. Yes PulseAudio is way to the future. Ubuntu is going to have it together with GNOME 3 and others, but IMHO for now it isnīt good piece of software for mobile devices.

Last edited by Figa; 2010-08-20 at 07:06.

Any clue why is this distortion happening in maemo, but not in android?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I have no problems with the audio.. Actually it's pretty good. i have not tried nitsroid yet so i can't compare.

I have the same issue
Headphones OK
Stereo Speakers - low bass, on max volume is not loud enough
In YouTube videos the volume is better.
I don't know about NITDroid. For me PR.1.2 is full with audio issues.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
strange..
i coulda sworn pr1.1.1 had good audio quality
score one for nokia

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I have never had any issues with audio - except the ringtone optimization thing.
(Maemo decompresses the ringtones into wav and saves them with a little lower quality, in order to make them play smoother.)

Other than that, music quality is great on my N900.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by bigdarkmad View Post
I have the same issue
Headphones OK
Stereo Speakers - low bass, on max volume is not loud enough
In YouTube videos the volume is better.
I don't know about NITDroid. For me PR.1.2 is full with audio issues.
I have lowered my speaker volume.. cause it was to loud. Got it on ~70%. The headphone could need a boast though but is enough to be good.