Hi everyone

I am getting a N900. From my own research I understand I need to do the following:

Update to Firmware 1.2
Subscribe to Maemo Extras
Download any software I want (mostly games)
Setup person contacts /etc

What I am wondering is should install Meego? Any other necessary steps I should take?

Edit: Forgot to ask, what are some essential software I should get? What are some sick games I should play? Any suggestions?

Last edited by yongke; 2010-08-27 at 17:40.

Originally Posted by yongke View Post
What I am wondering is should install Meego? Any other necessary steps I should take?
Unless you're really eager to do system development or have some stuff you'd like to work on before MeeGo really goes live, you're better off waiting until October when the first functional handset release goes out.

It can be tested non-destructively, though, by loading the filesystem on an SD card and loading the kernel without flashing, so it's always available if you really want to try. I suggest waiting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Ok I will definitely wait on the Meego.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
[Maemo 5] What are the "must have" (top, best, most useful) applications?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41905

have a read at that.

as for games we're a little short i'm afraid, but once you know what you're doing we have some excellent emulators. gameboy advance, megadrive, nes, snes, ps1, and my personal favourite ScummVM.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
My N900 was delivered honeymoon fresh yesterday, and PR1.2 and Maemo extras were both already on, so steps 1 and 2 are probably already done.

I then copied my contacts and calendar from my phone (S60 5th)
Installed MSN-Pecan, and then setup my Google, Skype, Facebook chat, and Ovi accounts on the IM section of Settings.

I then went though the contact list, and merged duplicate contacts.

Then I installed hermes to pull in as much missing info as possibly (not sure it did much by that point to be honest).

Then I went though, pulling in the other apps as needed.

I tend not to install loads of apps "to see what they are like", as the uninstall often leaves a bit of rubbish behind.

I am gonna be messing with this device for a long long time.. :-)

I would stick with Maemo for a good while, Meego and Nitdroid are nowhere near production ready yet, and will probably end up with o being frustrated with the device, unless you have specifically obtained with the aim of assisting with those projects.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Wait Meego
For Pr.1.2 has some bugs
If you don't have any issues, stay with the default things
VLC player is good application, SSH

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
I second the notion to stay away from MeeGo for N900. If you want to try it out, get your hands on an Asus/Acer/Toshiba netbook, download the .img file to a usb stick and boot from the live usb. It'll give you a taste what MeeGo will be like on a handheld.

If you do end up enabling extras-devel (tons of great stuff!), check out the "how-to" for flashing your device. I am confident you will not "brick" your device, nor experience major setbacks by downloading from the extras repositories, however, after a few months of playing around, you might end up with a feeling you need a fresh start with your device. Most of the time uninstalling the unused or less used apps works just fine, but occasionally you'll find reflashing the easiest way to clean the table.