Active Topics

Hi fellow forumers,

I have read, tried and completed some of the Qt tutorials available here on the maemo forums. Such as http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=59 and http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/...ser/index.html
I seem to be able to digest them after reading it through a few times. But here comes the problem for me:

All the tutorials show how to make a basic application, such as creating a Helloworld Label, or a basic GUI interface that does simple tasks like adding numbers.
I would like to take one step forward and create some applications that actually does some more stuff. Such as parsing text from the internet, HTTP post, file I/O etc. I have no idea what to do!
I also read the class references on the Qt website, however, sometimes the script gives me an error telling me that some functions are undefined. Im guessing this is caused by not implementing the correct libraries, I don't know what to implement

I'd really like to develope for the N900, since I plan on keeping it for a long time, and I'd very much like to contribute to the community.
I'm currently a senior highschool student, I've completed the programming course which taught us C++. I've also written a lot of script in "Autohotkey" ( a somewhat more advanced macro )

I hope you guys can point me in the correct direction and thank you!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
are you using qt python bindings?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I assume so, I've followed the instructions in the first link above.
Creating a GUI with Qt Designer, converting it to .py using pyuic4.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
so you are. what exactly you want to do with your piece of software?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Hmm, maybe reading and writing to text files, fetch webpages, create HTTP POST...
Thats all I can think of for now.

(Thanks for your replies!)

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam

You have a common problem, even for experienced programmers

thats because deciding what to write is a creative process, and you need to "warm up" your creative spirit.

about what to program, just read the forums a bit :P there are plenty fields of lacking apps, like a defered sms program, or a proper ftp manager, games, make current apps prettier, social apps, etc

idk, what do you feel that you want to program?