Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This will just run & run... doubt it will have any impact on Android in the short term, but longer term I suspect Google will cough up a suitable amount to make the lawsuit go away or alternatively remove any infringing code and carry on as before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ellison has to pay for that $5.6 Billion purchase of Sun somehow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ellison has to pay for that $5.6 Billion purchase of Sun somehow.
I guess they finally figured out how to monetize Java.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
gerbick has embraced Google Android
Larry Ellison has embraced Google Android, too .

The Following User Says Thank You to TorstenT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I guess they finally figured out how to monetize Java.
They allready figured that one out. Pretty much all phones include Java support and license fees for it.

Dalvik is big threat to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
They allready figured that one out. Pretty much all phones include Java support and license fees for it.

Dalvik is big threat to that.
I guess the point Oracle are making is that Google are using Java technology in the Dalvik VM (not just implementing an already patented idea, but wholesale copying of code and documentation), but haven't licensed Java as everybody else does.

Which is a bit like Apple using GSM technology and patents, without paying for it.

The relationship between SUN and Google was a close one, and SUN appear to have turned a blind eye to what Google were doing, whereas the relationship between Larry Ellison (former Apple board member) and Steve Jobs is even closer, and now Oracle are going after Apples biggest competitor, Google.

I'm sure Steve Jobs is very happy.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-08-13 at 20:27.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I guess the point Oracle are making is that Google are using Java technology in the Dalvik VM (not just implementing an already patented idea, but wholesale copying of code and documentation), but haven't licensed Java as everybody else does.
I saw this movie already.

The next step is Larry Ellison sending a letter to all Android users telling them their phone is illegal and they should pay him 699$ for a license.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

I'm sure Steve Jobs is very happy.
Actually I think that there was a simultanious trans-continental burst of happiness in Cupertino, Redmond and Espoo.

More seriously, I don't think that this will have serious effect on the current mobile platform war. Whatever the lawyers will come up with will include, relatively, small sums of money and possibly give Oracle bit more say/control on Dalvik.

The relationship between SUN and Google was a close one, and SUN appear to have turned a blind eye to what Google were doing, whereas the relationship between Larry Ellison (former Apple board member) and Steve Jobs is even closer, and now Oracle are going after Apples biggest competitor, Google.
Sun was very unhappy with Google/Dalvik. I think that simpler explanation is that Oracle bought Sun before Sun sued/was done with negotiating Google.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-08-13 at 20:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

The next step is Larry Ellison sending a letter to all Android users telling them their phone is illegal and they should pay him 699$ for a license.
It is a reason why I don't like Java or Java-powered products

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Can we start calling them "SCOracle" now?

Too late! It's already started!
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/1...eaponizes-java

EDIT: Oh wow! They even used the same lawyers as SCO! Morrison & Foerster and Boies Schiller! [slaps forehead]
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35811761/O...t-infringement

Last edited by danramos; 2010-08-13 at 20:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
bride-of-darl, chicks roosting, scoracle