Active Topics

I really, really like my N800. I wish it was a bit faster with the browsing, had more onboard memory, and have a few other gripes but otherwise it has been one of the greatest electronic devices I've ever bought. My girlfriend now wants some kind of media player device and I'd like to get her something that can be at least as good of a media player as the N800, heck I'd just get her an N800 but the only ones I'm seeing now start at $350 and up. Considering this is pretty old tech (and I bought mine 2 years ago for half that price) this seems like a steep price.

It seems like 2 years later I should be able to get something for the same price as I paid for the Nokia that is more powerful, but I haven't come across anything yet.

Specifically looking for something that doesn't need to be connected to a computer to manage media. It should be able to download podcasts, delete directly from the device, move files back and forth wirelessly. The only things I'm aware of that can maybe some of these are the iPod Touch, Zune, and a Sony player...all are expensive and much more limited than the Nokia...surely there has to be something else right?

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Sorry about this, but the best answer right now seems to be ... wait. I'm looking to replace my N800 right now, but unless I compromise and go for a smaller screen [smart android phone], the best options in the n800 competition are coming soon [as in not now].

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
I really, really like my N800. I wish it was a bit faster with the browsing, had more onboard memory, and have a few other gripes but otherwise it has been one of the greatest electronic devices I've ever bought. My girlfriend now wants some kind of media player device and I'd like to get her something that can be at least as good of a media player as the N800, heck I'd just get her an N800 but the only ones I'm seeing now start at $350 and up. Considering this is pretty old tech (and I bought mine 2 years ago for half that price) this seems like a steep price.

It seems like 2 years later I should be able to get something for the same price as I paid for the Nokia that is more powerful, but I haven't come across anything yet.

Specifically looking for something that doesn't need to be connected to a computer to manage media. It should be able to download podcasts, delete directly from the device, move files back and forth wirelessly. The only things I'm aware of that can maybe some of these are the iPod Touch, Zune, and a Sony player...all are expensive and much more limited than the Nokia...surely there has to be something else right?
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

So it has been 6 months, anything else out there yet? I've been told I need to get some kind of smart phone by the end of the year for work. It needs to work on Verizon, but should hopefully be a "world phone" as there is a decent chance I'll be doing a fair amount of travel next year.

Last week I used an Android (Samsung Galaxy) for a few days while traveling. While the hardware overall was pretty nice, the software and customization seemed to be pretty lacking. Multi-tasking and app switching sucked compared to the N800,even though the screen was almost the same size as the N800 it felt a lot smaller since everything had to be big enough to touch with a finger instead of a stylus. I hate, hate, hate that apps are installed that you can not uninstall without rooting your phone. The list could go on, but I think you get the idea.

The N800 to me is just about perfect. I like the overall size (wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen, and smaller speakers, but that's nitpicking), I love that it is stylus friendly meaning I don't have to zoom in to touch something and then zoom back out again to actually read it, and overall I think the software is better than any other mobile OS I've seen.

So what else out there is at least almost as good that I can get on Verizon?

What about an Archos 43 http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=us&lang=en
Specs
Operating System: Android 2.x with Archos enhancements
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8 with DSP
Ram: 256mb
Screen: 854x480 4.3inch resistive touchscreen. this has a similar screen size to the Nokia n8x0 and it is resistive too
Kickstand, G-Sensor.
Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, Microusb, USB Host
The Archos 43 seems like the true n8x0 replacement for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Why not get n900 + some external battery pack ?
I don't think there are smartphones with large screens. Do you only need 3G ?
Nwm, I thought Dell Streak doesn't have a GSM transceiver.

Last edited by aligatro; 2010-10-27 at 23:19.

The Archos seem nice, but I'm a bit let down with Android after my recent experience with it, and also right now I'm unfortunately in a position where I really need something with its own data connection.

The n900 is nice, but the screen is way too small and it doesn't work on Verizon.

Is there any chance that when Meego devices finally start showing up they'll launch with a device that works on Verizon? They'll have LTE launched by then in a lot of major cities, but CDMA will have to be on a phone as a backup for quite a long time I imagine.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My advice: Wait as long as possible before deciding. The world is about to be swamped with devices that might be worth going for. True, you will eventually have to move on, but I would say that early next year is the ideal jumping-off point. (Now, I hope I can get myself to take my advice!)

I'd like to do that. I'm fairly happy with my N800 and Casio cell phone...but work is getting impatient. They had wanted me to have a smart phone last summer, and I've been pushing them off. I've been told now that I have to have one before the end of the year. I buy the phone, but they reimburse me for the data plan. Historically I've hated contracts, but I will probably get one this time since the plan prices are the same whether you get a subsidized phone or not...so it seems kind of stupid to not.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Try the latest line of Archos tablets. Then get busy installing Debian on the device for a little familiar CLI love.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Try N900... It's really great. Gives you everything you need.